You’ve now heard a bit from our Head Reporter and Head of Communications and what it takes to fill those roles. It’s now time to hear from our head honcho, and how much work really goes into leading this band of fools! The BAA operates solely on the generosity of the alumni and the few who donate their time for a couple years to keep things running. If you are interested in any of these roles, would like to challenge someone’s position, or know someone who would fit the role, nominate by clicking the button below!

A word from:

Ben Matzke – BAA President

The presidency is really what you make it, you are the point of contact with CMU Alumni Association staff and the Sweepstakes committee, and you provide the guidance and vision of the BAA as a whole. We have gone through periods of growth, and periods of stabilization, driven mostly on the confidence of the president in themselves and the BAA Board. At this point, there are a number of things that the BAA is expected to do every year, but there’s also a single person in charge of each major point that isn’t you. The president’s main job in recent years is more one of creating new opportunities for Buggy as a whole, providing the tools and connections members of the committee need, then managing and guiding the committee direction. In an average month, I’ve spent no more than a few hours on tasks specific to the presidency, with a total of maybe 5 all in. Ramping up to raceday, it can get up to a few hours a week, but I’m also not the most organized person.

I’m very proud to have had the opportunity to be the BAA’s president the last few years and looking back, am very proud of what we’ve been able to accomplish. Starting small, maintaining our consistent Raceday Preview output and adding in some additional newsletters along the way and handing off to a new point person. Seeing the auction transition to it’s current form and handing it off to our new treasurer. Maintaining our consistent Rolls reporting and photo collecting and handing off writing & coordinating to a new point person while continuing to assist. As you might catch the theme, building up the BAA team and dividing up responsibilities has allowed us to continue doing the things we do and also look forward. I’ve had the opportunity to present and talk about buggy to the Alumni Association Board, to other networks, to parents, to students, and now to CMU’s President and Provost. We won Large Network of the Year from the AAB in 2016 thanks to the efforts of our amazing committee.

In short, it has been an honor and a privilege to serve as president and it is the perfect role for anyone that loves the sport of buggy, and wants to see it grow. I honestly believe that anyone is capable of being president now, especially with help of a fantastic committee, knowledgeable advisors, and supportive staff. I can’t wait to see what the next person to fill this role will be able to accomplish!

The BAA President is a role that anyone can take on from anywhere and touches every part of buggy, providing the direction for the alumni side of the sport. If this sounds like something you, or a friend would be interested in, nominate them now!