With a cold last few weekends, Sweepstakes hasn’t been able to hold rolls since the earliest Spring Rolls start in years. With Spring break looming over the next two weekends, and an inclination for low turnout, they’ve also decided to cancel those weekends. This puts the next possible rolls for March 25 & 26. We’re hoping for a greater showing then along with potentially 6 new buggies that are in the works!
Given the lack of reporting material, we’ll take this opportunity to share some Carnival info with you, including:
- Buggy Events
- Preview Info
- New Race Format?
Start your weekend plan with these and meet up with the other awesome Buggy people. (Some items still TBD or Subject to Change)
- 8pm – WRCT Pre-Raceday Broadcast @ WRCT.org
- Listen in and tweet or message us Live as we talk about the upcoming races, or join the conversation in person if you’re in town.
- 10am – Design Competition @ Weigand Gym
- Open to all to see the buggies that will be on the course and vote on their favorite.
- Noon – Buggy Showcase @ Weigand Gym
- Robobuggy and Atlas will be sharing their progress and approaches to robotic buggies with a short Q&A after.
- 7pm – BAA Welcome Happy Hour @ Hough’s in Greenfield
- Come meet up with buggy people, swap stories and get in the competitive spirit for Friday Races.
- 8am – Prelim Races @ Tech and Frew Street
- 12:30pm – Luncheon Gathering @ Donner Ditch Tent
- This year we are trying something new, Grab some food at the All-Campus BBQ then join us in our Reserved space in the Donner Ditch Tent.
- 1:30pm – History of Buggy (Class of ’92 Showcase) @ Danforth Conference Room
- Join us for Tom Wood’s Always awesome History of Buggy presentation with special focus on the class of ’92
- 8am – Exhibition Races @ Tech and Frew Street
- 9am – Finals Races @ Tech and Frew Street
- 4pm – Post Race Happy Hour @ TBD
- Join us for our first ever Post Race event and join fellow alumni in celebrating your team’s success or drinking away the pain of defeat.
- ??pm – Awards Ceremony @ Midway Tent
Volunteering for Raceday
This year, there are so many things going on that our usual Staff Volunteers will be elsewhere and we need some additional hands on deck during the races to help make sure things run smoothly. If you can lend us as little as an hour we will bribe you with:
- BAA Membership for the 2017-2018 Season
- Drink at the Saturday Happy Hour
- Special Volunteer shirt.
If this is something you can swing, Please let us know!
It’s coming soon, and we are packing it with all sorts of goodies for you this year. Our Treasurer, Dan Becerra, is gathering membership info and will be putting that out in a separate post later this month. If you have any things to add, or that you’d like to see in this year’s Preview, Please email us: email@example.com.
As with every year, we will be holding our Lead Truck Auction where you will get the opportunity to ride in the lead truck for your favorite Race and see all the action. This year, we hope to provide you all with some buggy artwork to bid on drawn by our very own safety chair, Linna Griffin! We are continually working with Student Activities to improve the experience and this year should be one of the best yet. The seat is open to anyone 18 or over, further info will be sent later as we get closer to the Races.
This year the Auction will be aimed at funding some upgrades for cmuTV both for new reliable hardware and some awesome graphics packages. Given our experience last year, we know this can help them achieve awesomeness and they are excited to improve everyone’s experience on and off the course.
Though we’ve been sounding a little like the boy who cried wolf lately, we will be open for new BAA officer nominations before Carnival and will hold the elections themselves in the weeks following the races. Many of our officers have reached the end of their first 2-year term and their position will be up for grabs. Any graduate is eligible including those graduating this year. Nominate your friends, Nominate your enemies, give us the ability to keep doing what we do! More info on this in April.
New Race Format?
We’ll leave off with something that has been coming up more and more in recent years. With the advent of a more even distribution of Men’s and Women’s entries, it’s looking like, for the first time ever, we could see the same number of awards for each this year! That alone is very exciting news, but has brought up the question to possibly swap Men’s and Women’s Races. Since the start of the Women’s races, they have always rolled first in the morning. We know this is a heated topic for some people, but this is a serious consideration by Sweepstakes and many in the buggy community.
With even race entries, is it time we start alternating Men’s and Women’s Races? (be civil)