[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Where are they putting the jumbo tron? - Page 6 - Buggy Alumni Association

Where are they putting the jumbo tron?

the cook
Organization: SigNu
Graduation Year: 1987

Re: Where are they putting the jumbo tron?

Postby the cook » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:24 pm

It's not the space, man... its just going to harsh the vibe

hambone
Organization: PiKA
2nd Organization: Sweepstakes
Graduation Year: 2007

Postby hambone » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:30 am

As if it really matters what we think. Sweepstakes Exec has more to deal with now than most (read: anyone who was never held a Sweepstakes position) could imagine. I suggest the actives take a look at where they want to put it, put it there, and tell everyone to piss off. BAA has done some really great things for buggy, but bickering alumni don't make decisions.

Maybe compubookie has something to say about it...

abordick
Organization: PiKA
Graduation Year: 1994

Postby abordick » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:51 am

Location 2 will reach both sides of the street if it's oriented about 180 (or due south for the directionally challenged).

Carleton
Organization: SDC
Graduation Year: 2007

Postby Carleton » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:16 am

I like location 3, but angled about 30 to 45 degrees towards scaife. This way both sides of the street can see it, and not have to turn all the way around to watch the buggies hit the transition flag. And unlike location 4, the camera tower won't block the zoo's view.

the cook

Postby the cook » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:40 am

Thanks for taking the time to post the pic.

I think location 5 is superior - that is where everyone is looking in the first place, and will encourace some cognition on the part of folks on the inside of the bales that buggies are coming. This is where the worst offenders often come from in ill-timed street crossings. The chute flagers could also easily see if their steed is in the lead or not, hill 3 pushers too if they have good eyes, and EMTs in the chute could see if their services are needed up course. There is no dazzle element to drivers or danger of hitting the thing however small those concerns may be. This faces near due east I think

Location 3 is on my head so that is out.

Any location that has the screen facing south will result in the screen getting severely washed out in direct sunlight. Note the direction of the shadows on the photo. The weakness of large screens is often brightness in direct sunlight.

I'm not sure I could take a bunch of nimrods gathered around a screen that forces them to face the wrong direction, while the buggies are actually in the chute right behind them at the time.
Last edited by the cook on Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

swiftsam
Site Admin
Organization: Fringe
Graduation Year: 2004

Postby swiftsam » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:54 am

blue
Organization: Fringe
Graduation Year: 2013

Postby blue » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:00 am

If I were only watching this year, I'd definitely vote for 4 or 3. But knowing that I'd have to drive essentially through a sea of people at the very point in the course were I need to see the most (and should have to worry about dodging people the least) means I have trouble really going along with 3, 4, or 5. If people can barely be kept all the way off the course on Hills 1 and 2, where its a straight shot and they can clearly see when a heat is about to start, I seriously doubt the overeager chute-dwellers will manage to stay out of the way completely.

I'm not trying to say there shouldn't be people hanging around in the chute by any means (its where I'd go if I weren't driving), it just seems to me that having the jumbo tron at the apex would encourage people steadily encroaching upon the course more than prevent it. And that's not even taking into account the trees and gazebo on the inside of the course that take up/block valuable viewing areas if the jumbo tron is at 3, 4, or 5.

Anyway, that's my two cents....and apparently I was ninja'd by Sam while I typed all that up...I'm posting anyway though :P

Carl Nott
Organization: Spirit
Graduation Year: 1998

Postby Carl Nott » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:58 pm

Thanks for taking the poll Sam.

That sounds weird.

Anyway, Duane covered my thoughts on 'Gee, everyone is staring into the sun/jumbotron glare'.

Question: Is there a recommended viewing distance or something for these things?

SigNuSi
Graduation Year: 2010

Postby SigNuSi » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:10 pm

yeah, thank you for taking the time to put up a poll Sam, hopefully we'll settle the issue constructively
"...you're telling me that there is literally shit flowing down the back hills?"

lemuroid
Organization: Ultimate Soap Box Derby
2nd Organization: SigNu

Postby lemuroid » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:45 am

Since putting in on the inside of the turn is apparently impossible (really?), then I would vote for #5 as it is the only place this year's CMU-TV / WRCT chute commentator (me) has a hope of seeing it. Also, I would have to agree with the 'facing it south" (positins 2,3,4) is a bad idea (weak image due to the sun washing it out). Lastly, position 5 givesn the inside and outside folks an equal shot at seeing it and is lined up with the logical direction most of them would be looking to see the chute turn start.

Return to “Buggy”