Mccue, you only have difficulty understanding the game bc it usually starts when you're already in Phase 3.
The nature of the game is to identify what phase of "Mccue drunk" that Mccue is currently in. And to predict when he is about to advance a stage and what absurdity will ensue.
A general idea of the phases are as follows (although my memory for them is usually much more accurate when there is a drunkMccue around):
Phase 1: At this point, drunkMccue doesn't show many signs of inebriation, but the glint in his eye suggests his intention to get to Phase 3 within the next 5 minutes.
Phase 2: Without careful attention you may miss Phase 2, for its only evidence is a slightly more talkative and peppy drunkMccue. Given the general friendliness of a typical soberMccue, you could not be blamed for missing Phase 2 of a drunkMccue.
Phase 3: Phase 3 is what initially started the game. At this point your drunkMccue has become quite rambunctious. You will see higher energy levels, faster rate of speech, and 100% increase in the amount of ideas he feels the need to share. During Phase 3, 90% of the time your drunkMccue will be talking to a hot chick, usually while also roughhousing with her, even if she does not know who he is. The remaining 10% of his time is equally divided between procuring another drink and making you explain to him what Phase 3 is.
Phase 4: Phase 4 is very similar to Phase 3 with two important differences. 1 - his intentions to talk to and scuffle with hot chicks drastically increases and 2 - his ability to talk coherently and stand up without aid drastically decrease.
Phase 5: Honestly, Phase 5 is a little boring. It's a quick transition Phase between 4 and 6.
Phase 6: Your drunkMccue's energy levels have severely plummeted and his ability to make any sense has disappeared. You may think the ride is over, but brace yourself for Phase 7.
Phase 7: Miraculously, your drunkMccue somehow gets a second wind. While his ambitions to talk and engage in tomfoolery have been refreshed, sadly his body and his brain have not. You know have your hands quite full with your drunkMccue.
Phase 8: Don't worry, you're almost in the clear. While it seems that your drunkMccue is peaking in his trouble making, the truth is that at any moment he will come crashing down to Phase 9.
Phase 9: For any other drunk, this would be the passed out phase. But you have a drunkMccue, who is not capable of passing out. He may be motionless on the couch, floor, or even standing, stay alert. At any time, he may reboot back to Phase 7.
And there you have the drunkMccue drinking game. You may be asking, "but where in the game do I get to drink?" The answer is: when dealing with a drunkMccue, you will feel the need to drink constantly. You can also take a shot whenever he progresses to a new phase. Unless it's phase 7, because then you will need to immediately chase your drunkMccue and drag him out of the street before he gets hit by a car. Or after.
Have fun at Carnival with your drunkMccue!