[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Official 10 results? - Page 4 - Buggy Alumni Association

Official 10 results?

josh.ayers
Organization: SDC
Graduation Year: 2003

Re: Official 10 results?

Postby josh.ayers » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:06 pm

Pika had a reroll on Friday and rolled a 2:09 something. I believe that was their official time, not the 2:12.

Carleton
Graduation Year: 2007

Postby Carleton » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:16 pm

See that's sort of a problem. That 2:12.72 was their first roll time, which should put them in 5th, after dq'ing our Men's C. The way the rules go with reruns, the rerun happens on the last day of races and counts as the final time. I suppose they did them this year on first day because second day wasn't assured. Did sweepstakes indicate if their 2:09.xx from the day one rerun replaced their 2:12.72 for finals heat selection? If so, it obviously counts as their prelims time (which is of questionable legality). If that aspect of the rule had actually been followed, they shouldn't have even rolled second day, and ironically, they would have taken 2nd.

TommyK
Organization: Fringe
Graduation Year: 2001

Postby TommyK » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:00 pm

Last edited by TommyK on Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

McCue
Organization: Sweepstakes
2nd Organization: KDR

Postby McCue » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:06 pm

Carleton

Postby Carleton » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:14 pm

TommyK
Graduation Year: 2001

Postby TommyK » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:33 pm

That made sense. I forgot about the way re-rolls from pre-lims are supposed to work, and it was a strange raceday.

Other strange things that happened: 11 out of 16 teams from 2 orgs in finals, no 6th place Men's trophy, all teams competing during Women's get a trophy, Pika finishes last in finals, Zoo and SigEp beat Pika, 30 degree temp difference from day 1 to day 2. Did anyone notice a bright whitish-purple light in the sky and a really loud noise after pre-lims?

Carl Nott
Organization: Spirit
Graduation Year: 1998

Postby Carl Nott » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:17 pm

Well, it was an odd year. I can understand why Sweepstakes made some of their decisions, but I think (if I were head judge again) I might have handled the reruns and all with a slightly different interpretation of the rules.

Based on the assumption that there was a good chance that Finals/Saturday would be rained out I would have also had reruns on Friday. If Finals/Saturday was not rained out then the reruns from Friday would be voided (as they were done as a precautionary measure in the event of rain).

That would have meant that the top 10 men's and top 6 women's times, excluding teams granted a rerun, would have rolled on Saturday. Reruns would have occured first, and those times would have been the final times for those teams. Reruns for top 10 men's and top 6 women's would happen last, if necessary.

So, based on my thoughts, here is a summary of what I think should have happened:

First Day of Racing
Prelims
Precautionary Reruns (voided if 2nd day happens)

Second Day of Racing
Exhibitions
Reruns granted on First Day (Women's then Men's)
Women's Finals
Men's Finals
Reruns granted for Women's Finals
Reruns granted for Men's Finals

So, to add unnecessary detail, I think 2nd day should have had:
Exhibitions
Women's rerun: Spirit C (anyone else?)
Men's rerun: PiKA A, Fringe D (anyone else?)
Women's Finals: Fringe A, PiKA A, Fringe B
Men's Finals: Fringe A, SigEp A, PiKA B, Fringe C, Fringe B, SigEp B, Zoo A, PhiKap A
Women's Finals rerun: N/A (right?)
Men's Finals rerun: N/A (right?)

I'm sure there's the whole 'WTF Carl? Spirit C's wheel fell off on their rerun!'. I hear that, totally, but the rerun was granted and occured early because of fear of rain. So the rerun should be voided if there was no rain. Much like if a team misses a pushbar/spins/whatever during Prelims and that day gets rained out everything gets reset and they're rolling on 2nd day.

Just out of curiosity: Did PiKA A try to claim that they were unable to take their final rerun? If they had been successful they'd have had a 2:12.72 (3rd place) or, if they were able to argue strongly enough, a 2:09-whatever (2nd place) based off of their Friday rerun.

Edit: Also, I am curious about the average age of Head Judges over the years. I was Head Judge in '01 when I was but a wee lad of 25. Are Head Judges typically 25-ish? I might think getting more experienced folks might be a good idea.

Carleton

Postby Carleton » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:42 pm

Carl Nott
Organization: Spirit
Graduation Year: 1998

Postby Carl Nott » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:02 pm

Never had a Prelims rained out? Goodness. Well, the rules may have changed (tho I don't see anything that would indicate that they have), but back when it rained during Carnival we operated under the belief that if you don't roll everything it doesn't count. There were some strange years, but the 'cancelled, it's all reset' theory was what I was operating under in '01 when Prelims rained out (after SDC A missed the push bar) and they were able to roll the next day.

I was a bit of dick to SDC that year tho. They rolled fairly early on the 2nd day (only official day) as I reseeded pretty much everyone after all the carnage first day.

But yeah, the reasoning is to avoid 'Friday it was 30F and the last two heats got snowed out so Saturday, when it was 105F, we just rolled the last two heats (after everyone in those heats subbed their A teams in) and everyone was sub-2:06, so if you didn't have a team in one of those heats you didn't get any hardware.' Plus it's silly to only have a couple of heats 2nd day. So in the event of weather effecting any of the races you void all of them so folks have an equal footing.

Tho I think this rule has been fiddled with a lot over the years. I think there was one year when Prelim men's was rained out and they rolled women's like it was their Finals and then all of Prelim men's. Or maybe they did Prelim men's AND THEN Final women's, or something equally odd.

Plus, I could be wrong, hehe.

revo
2nd Organization: Sweepstakes
Graduation Year: 2000

Postby revo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:11 pm

Return to “Buggy”