[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Official 10 results? - Page 5 - Buggy Alumni Association

Official 10 results?

revo
Organization: Fringe
2nd Organization: Sweepstakes
Graduation Year: 2000

Re: Official 10 results?

Postby revo » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:44 pm

McCue
Organization: Sweepstakes
2nd Organization: KDR
Graduation Year: 2007

Postby McCue » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:25 am

shafeeq
Organization: CIA

Postby shafeeq » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:00 am

I don't see anything authorizing reruns on Friday. They are certainly a good idea if Saturday is predicted to be rained out, which probably means someone should actually change the rules to legalize them.

What the rules do envision is the case where prelims run on Saturday. So if you reroll on the same day as prelims, it counts as a prelim time, if you reroll on the same day as finals, it counts as a final time. But rerolls are always on the day originally scheduled as finals (i.e: Saturday). Extending this to allow Friday rerolls to count as prelim times seems reasonable. You may have entries that can't take a reroll on Friday, but can on Saturday (damage, injury, etc.) so the team should have the option to choose one or the other (knowing that if it chooses Saturday & rains out, it gets nothing).

The danger of allowing a speculative rerun and deciding after the fact if it counts or not is that if a team set a rerun time that was slower than its interfered-with time, it could argue at the judges meeting that "no really, we weren't interfered with, so our reroll should't count".

If I remember right, the order on Sunday in '99 was funny, because some Men's heats had run twice already (Friday & Saturday), and some had run not at all, and so the heats that hadn't started yet ran first on Sunday so they'd have any time at all? And then we ran out of time/interest in finishing the rest?

Carl Nott
Organization: Spirit
Graduation Year: 1998

Postby Carl Nott » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:08 am

janicesg
Organization: Fringe
2nd Organization: Sweepstakes
Graduation Year: 2001

Postby janicesg » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:54 am

Janice (Golenbock) Schneekloth
BAA Chairman 2010-2012
Sweepstakes Chair 2002-2004
Fringe Driver 1998-2002

Carl Nott
Organization: Spirit
Graduation Year: 1998

Postby Carl Nott » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:23 am

Hmm. Curious how many head judges were never part of the sweepstakes board?

I think the thing that I found most interesting about being head judge was the insight that it gave me, acting as part of sweepstakes, into how different teams dealt with sweepstakes, and how sweepstakes felt about different teams. I mean, I LOVED PiKA. They had all their shit together, they knew the rules, they were just sooo much better at the sweepstakes part of Raceday than anyone else. I was like 'Seeding was crap today. We're going to reseed everyone. Call the PiKA chairman. Tell him to get his times for all of the teams together and come over here.'... and they did it! Hehe.

But yeah, more experience is good. It's good to have perspective.

abordick
Organization: PiKA
Graduation Year: 1994

Postby abordick » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:45 am

Carl,

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but when I was Chairman, I was one of the few people who had read the rulebook, cover to cover, several times. I felt it best to know the rules should someone request something stupid. I hope the kids still do that, since it could never hurt to be very knowledgeable of the rulebook.

I think some years we dropped off that a bit, but I read the rulebook again this year prior to raceday, so I wouldn't be caught off guard on-air. I just don't think it's all that hard to enforce some rules.

Maybe next year I'll drop the mic and put in for judge. That oughtta scare a few people. :D

nbonaddio
Organization: KDR
Graduation Year: 2006

Postby nbonaddio » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:34 am

mldarm
Organization: Sweepstakes
2nd Organization: KDR

Postby mldarm » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:44 am

I'll try to add my own hazy recollection of 99 to the others...
I seem to remember we got some of the order through on Friday (I'm thinking all of women's and some of men's). I don't think there was any racing on Saturday. And, if I remember correctly Sunday was pretty nice and we got everything in. We started with the heat after the last one we got in Friday (ie if we got to head 3, we started with heat 4). Then once we got through all the heats, we went back to redo the ones that had raced Friday, blanking out those runs completely. The only exception was Fringe D, whose driver got a concussion and couldn't race. We kept the Friday time, that's why the record says 'Extreme Circumstances'. I'm thinking we probably didn't rerun women's.

Carleton
Organization: SDC
Graduation Year: 2007

Postby Carleton » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:47 am

Attachments
think_of_the_children2.jpg
think_of_the_children2.jpg (30.55 KiB) Viewed 2802 times

Return to “Buggy”