[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Rank DQing is not a thing - Buggy Alumni Association

Rank DQing is not a thing

McCue
Organization: Sweepstakes
2nd Organization: KDR
Graduation Year: 2007

Rank DQing is not a thing

Postby McCue » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:13 am

Last edited by McCue on Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Carl Nott
Organization: Spirit
Graduation Year: 1998

Re: Rank DQing is not a thing

Postby Carl Nott » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:33 am

To add to your list Spirit C beat Spirit A up-and-over in '95. This was only obvious because they were head-to-head. I would not be surprised if Spirit has had a few more times where A, B, or C Hill 1-2's were not 'correctly' ranked. A lot of times our C pushers are folks who have only been out a few times and so may have questionable technique or times (Chris Cannon was C Hill 1 in '95 because, if the stories are true, we only had times of him running Hill 1 while wearing boots). Plus it would be a shame to penalize a C team for being faster than a B where, say, a pusher fell down or tripped or pulled a muscle. Or, say, a B team for being faster than an A team which suffered a mechanical problem.

Carleton
Organization: SDC

Postby Carleton » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:10 am

Carl, other way around. The way the rule reads, I believe, is that the B team would be dq'ed if the C team was faster. The slower team is dq'ed.

Mccue, I don't disagree. I'm a strong proponent of the spirit of the rule, as well as holding everyone to the same standard. By the way, nice job of putting those examples in chronological order.

McCue
Organization: Sweepstakes
2nd Organization: KDR

Postby McCue » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:29 am

I put your mom's examples in chronological order.

Also nice to know this is the first thing we check when we get up in the morning.

abordick
Organization: PiKA
Graduation Year: 1994

Postby abordick » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:57 am

McCue,

While I agree that common sense should be the rule and not these seemingly reaction things, but the Rank DQ is in there because:
a. Someone, somewhere, sometime messed with another Org by stacking a C team and
b. They fought disqualification by saying "Nothing in the rules prevents it" or something to that effect.

I wish we had the one page rules of 1930.

-A sore and road-rashed Bordick

ericmorton
Organization: KDR
Graduation Year: 1990

Postby ericmorton » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:01 am

McCue,

What I'm missing is whether this rule was applied in 2010? I hadn't heard about that. If it was, then that seems wrong unless it was malicious.

As quoted, this rule needs changing. Adding the requirement that the sweepstakes organization must rule that the violation was malicious or intentional in order to gain an advantage (or give an advantage to someone else) should be added. And then to clarify that both teams should be DQ'd. In fact, maybe it should be scrapped in favor of a unsportsmanlike conduct rule.

Eric

rwalsh
Graduation Year: 0

Postby rwalsh » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:31 am

It wasn't enforced. On day 1 Fringe's Mens C team had a faster time than the B, both being in the Top 10. Neither team was DQ'd and in the finals the B team ended up having the faster time.

Jmohin
Organization: SigEp
Graduation Year: 2010

Postby Jmohin » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:15 am

McCue - your mom is an example of chronological order!! (BOOM she's old get it?!?)
Kidding. I think your point is extremely well taken. Our C-team was a lighter buggy away from beating our B-team.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, teams are getting deeper. A, B, and C teams are become similar in speed and it's tougher for an org to ensure one won't be the other. I bet we see a lot of C/B switcharoos in coming years.

If we delete the rule, how are we to enforce it when a conniving org decides to stack their D team to mess with someone else's A-team? I'm sure there's people who aren't below this. Does that fall under safety/unsportmans-like conduct?

Basically what I'm saying is: in the case it DOES happen that someone intentionally does this, would we be leaving them too much room to squirm out of a DQ?

shafeeq
Organization: CIA
Graduation Year: 2000

Postby shafeeq » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:05 pm

The only official time that exists to base a Rank DQ on is the overall finishing time. If you're trying to screw with another team by getting in front & slowing them down, only the first part of your D team needs to be fast. If nothing else, your hill 5 can jog in to ensure it finishes slower than C. Either you can call this kind of strategery unsportsmanlike conduct, or require that every B team yields to every A team, and so on, which would be terrible.

I believe the intent of this rule is to prevent an A team from intentionally using the better heat the C team got. I suppose if your B team gets the good heat, one could legally substitute your A pushers onto your B team and scratch your A team.

Beta94-95
Organization: Beta
Graduation Year: 1995

Postby Beta94-95 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:43 pm

In regards to 1995 Beta B/C I knew when we set them up that C might be better than B. I know that now we aren't exactly scaring anyone (thanks for all the broadcast love Andy and Mark) but back then we were competitive with great athletes and buggies that didn't slow down on the downhill and could make it at least past the last bale. We had rebuilt up from not having a buggy in 92, to building one a year and having 3 competing in 95 so I felt we had a little room to play. We had some incredibly fast people who weren't willing to go all carnival (at least past the second day of races) without drinking so I allowed them to push our C team buggy. The drinkers squeaked out a .3 second victory over our B team that was insignificant to everyone but us. I just wish some of them would have been willing to stay sober and push but what can you do with some people?

Return to “Buggy”