[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Judge's Opinion, Raceday 2010 - Page 4 - Buggy Alumni Association

Judge's Opinion, Raceday 2010

shafeeq
Organization: CIA
Graduation Year: 2000

Re: Judge's Opinion, Raceday 2010

Postby shafeeq » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:13 pm

Carleton
Organization: SDC
Graduation Year: 2007

Postby Carleton » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:57 pm

Do you think you could get him to share his thoughts here? About what their intent was when making the rule, and how it was applied this year?

penguin
Organization: SigNu
Graduation Year: 2004

Postby penguin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:01 pm

I'll take a guess at least at one part.
1. To stop fires in which people are hurt or killed.

Carleton

Postby Carleton » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:11 pm

Andrew, do the rules prohibit an LP heat at raceday, regardless of location?

ahundt
Organization: Sweepstakes
2nd Organization: Fringe
Graduation Year: 2009

Postby ahundt » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:17 pm

Last edited by ahundt on Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Andrew Hundt
Sweepstakes Chairman 2009 | Head Judge 2010 | Fringe Mechanic 2006, 2007, 2008 | Fringe Pusher 2006, 2007

shafeeq
Organization: CIA
Graduation Year: 2000

Postby shafeeq » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Carleton

Postby Carleton » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:33 pm

"FMB is the fire marshal and the authority on matters of fire safety. I don't mean to put you on the spot Andrew, but you are the head judge, authority on buggy rules. The original question stands, do the rules prohibit an LP heater at raceday, regardless of location? But your response begs a follow up question. Is any fire safety violation, identified by FMB, a violation of the rules, regardless of location?"

ahundt
Organization: Sweepstakes
2nd Organization: Fringe
Graduation Year: 2009

Postby ahundt » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:43 pm

Andrew Hundt
Sweepstakes Chairman 2009 | Head Judge 2010 | Fringe Mechanic 2006, 2007, 2008 | Fringe Pusher 2006, 2007

Carleton

Postby Carleton » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:52 pm

I'm sorry you are misunderstanding my question, I am not trying to call into question FMB's credentials. And I did state that fire safety is his responsibility, while your's as head judge is buggy rules, which is why I am coming to you with my questions. I am not asking what constitutes a fire safety hazard, I am asking whether any fire safety hazard (determined by FMB), at raceday, regardless of location, constitute a violation of the buggy rules.

galexkeene
Graduation Year: 2008

Postby galexkeene » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:55 pm

With Andrew and Drew (Carleton) going back and forth here, I'd like to interject.

Andrew, what I think Drew is getting at (and has since replied with since I wrote this, but going to leave this anyway) is that it seems you are saying FMB could basically say ANYTHING is a fire safety violation (even if there are no flammable liquids involved, not comparing this to the propane tank), and suddenly that team is in trouble. I know (and agree) that teams should just be asking first, but it leaves a HUGE door open for FMB to basically call anything a fire hazard and the head judge then is required to DQ.

Another point I wanted to add myself is with regards to smoking. I used to do it myself very "near" trucks because it was never seen as a problem, but looking back I don't see how that's the case. With the smells that come from various orgs prep areas, there are some serious fumes floating around, and you often have lots of cigarettes lit up (SigNu comes to mind here. Not saying you guys are unsafe, just remember you as a lot of smokers). To me, people using lighters and having sticks of flaming ash in their mouth about 5 feet from their trucks/tents seems much more dangerous than any propane tank (especially one that was turned off, and yes I understand it could leak). I don't know the physics of propane, or much about fire safety, so tell me if I'm out of line here, but just something that particularly struck me on Saturday when this was all crashing down on SDC.

Return to “Buggy”