[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Buggy Rules - Development + Changes - Buggy Alumni Association

Buggy Rules - Development + Changes

BuggyBob
Organization: SAE
Graduation Year: 1974

Buggy Rules - Development + Changes

Postby BuggyBob » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:13 am

Men and Wimmin (and Other Versions) -

The recent controversial SDC DQ matter led me to re-read The Rules. I did not realize The Rules were not safe to lift*, and reminded me of War and Peace.
This led me to wonder: who writes them, who approves them, and how they get changed.
Me thinks this would be a good time to address this 'rules' matter, as the recent SDC debacle points toward clarifying certain aspects of the rules (such as: WTF does 'near' mean? And does the omnipotent 'Fire' Marshall play also the role of judge, jury and executioner?).
Can anyone give me a primer on how the rules 'work'?

Buggy Bob (old Geezer)

* I had to splurge for a new laser cartridge.
* "I love the smell of solvents at Free Roll. It smells like......victory".
* "I'm loosing my mind, but I don't seem to miss it much."

Carsen Kline
Organization: Fringe
Graduation Year: 1999

Re: Buggy Rules - Development + Changes

Postby Carsen Kline » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:13 pm

I can't tell you how they work. I'll pull a Sarah Palin and answer a different question.

Last year a number of rules changes were made during the course of weekly chairmen's meetings. A change would be proposed, the chairs were asked if they disagreed, and of course chairmen are too cool for school and won't speak up in a crowd. So the rules would pass in a flash.

This pissed off Lou and Tom to no end, given that they spent much time adding 100+ pages to the old rules back in '88ish. They consider overnight changes an insult, especially since they feel the rules are written clearly and thoughtfully.

There is definitely room for clarification here and there, e.g. "near" should disappear and have something about FMB's discretion. But any revisions should be well thought out and given a proper review by powers that be.

Carleton
Organization: SDC
Graduation Year: 2007

Postby Carleton » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:38 pm

Carsen Kline
Organization: Fringe
Graduation Year: 1999

Postby Carsen Kline » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:54 pm

shafeeq
Organization: CIA
Graduation Year: 2000

Postby shafeeq » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:01 pm

Not all of the changes changes have been positive ones:

The "excessive pointiness" rule used to be strangely worded but well defined, until someone decided to "fix" it by making it even less clear ("the minimum radius is .75" That's great, is that .75 inches, .75 cm, .75 thumbs?). Good thing it's rarely enforced otherwise one could probably find every single buggy out of compliance with it.

Similarly a section was added requiring only load rated mountain climbing hardware to be used in harnesses, never mind that there's no specification for what load it should be rated for, or any requirement that whatever part of the buggy the harness attaches to be able to handle that load.

Even the protective cage rules which I believe have been unchanged from '88 with all their talk of "12" infinitely stiff members" only tell you where the impact forces are but not what they are reacted against. At least there's a logical answer for this one, and I might well have been the last designer not to say "Eh, it's carbon, of course it's strong enough" anyway.

Texas A&M's student activities director would probably have a thing or two to say about why one might not want to let student run organizations with high turnover make their own safety regulations without oversight from the legally accountable part of the university.

lemuroid
Organization: Ultimate Soap Box Derby
2nd Organization: SigNu
Graduation Year: 1987

Postby lemuroid » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:10 pm

kcp
Organization: Sweepstakes
Graduation Year: 0

Postby kcp » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:45 pm

I would love alumni expertise in reviewing the rules and tightening up vague areas!

BuggyBob

Postby BuggyBob » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:45 pm

BuggyBob

Postby BuggyBob » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:45 am

THE RULES: PROPANE MADNESS & SDC

One of the first things that needs to be done, to relieve this craziness of this "NEAR" question in The Rules - and of "What constitutes the 'buggy prep area' in question?", is to, at the outset, DEFINE the AREA in question.
It's easy: insert a drawing (with notes) into the rules. Attached is an example. Clearly exact dimensions are needed - but that can come later.
Note that I used the corners of buildings (fixed objects) as reference points. (This quick and dirty drawing is just a starting point for discussions). Note that I have bounded the 'prep area' by streets and other areas where there might be issues, such as human/machinery problems, such as (but not limited to):
Vehicles (gas tanks) + people with cig lighters + vagrant 'street people/faculty' smoking dope + people ignorant of The Rules (alumni dumb spouses that smoke) + curious Pitt students + etc.).
How hard is this - in terms of making a rule change - to add such a drawing to the rules and alleviate this BS about what constitutes 'near'??

Edit: typos.
Attachments
buggy-prep-area-1.gif
buggy-prep-area-1.gif (25.58 KiB) Viewed 4559 times

Carl Nott
Organization: Spirit
Graduation Year: 1998

Postby Carl Nott » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:07 am

I'm fairly certain that Fire Marshal Bob would say something to the effect that different flammables are going to pose a different thread radius and so no clear definition of 'near' is applicable.

So while I think it would definitely help to define where the Buggy Prep Area is, whether or not something is 'near' enough to it to be a hazard is going to need to rely on a judgment call by the Fire Marshal.

I mean, 'But Bob, we said in the rules that was not a hazard' is not going to get much traction.

Return to “Buggy”