[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Buggy Rules - Development + Changes - Page 9 - Buggy Alumni Association

Buggy Rules - Development + Changes

lemuroid
Organization: Ultimate Soap Box Derby
2nd Organization: SigNu
Graduation Year: 1987

Re: Buggy Rules - Development + Changes

Postby lemuroid » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:20 pm

Keep up the yapping about "near" and you might get the risk management officer's attention at cmu.
Were I they, I might push for the following rules clarifications just to make it safe and simple on everyone:

no trucks
no tents
buggies loaded at the line
no smoking

or even safer:

no buggy

BuggyBob
Organization: SAE
Graduation Year: 1974

Postby BuggyBob » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:11 pm

Attachments
limits-signs.gif
limits-signs.gif (4.3 KiB) Viewed 3860 times
* "I love the smell of solvents at Free Roll. It smells like......victory".
* "I'm loosing my mind, but I don't seem to miss it much."

BuggyBob

Postby BuggyBob » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:25 am

A Thought:
How about about someone in 'power' at the BAA or the Sweepstakes Committee, asking Fire Marshall Bob to become a member of the BAA, and join in on the discussions? His input would be useful, me thinks.

abordick
Organization: PiKA
Graduation Year: 1994

Postby abordick » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:12 am

BuggyBob,

I find your interest in this subject amusing after reading your automatic signature.

BuggyBob

Postby BuggyBob » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:42 pm

In the interest of providing some positive input (useful information) that can be used to update the Buggy Rules, here's a definition that is needed:

combustible (‘flammable’), n - substances that are a clear and present danger, banned from the Buggy Preparation Area, and the characteristics of which boils down to: ‘it could possible catch on fire’. Examples of substances or activities that could catch on fire, include, but are not limited to:
Propane, natural gas (from oil), natural gas (from farts), charcoal, wood, Weber grills, cooking, Bicardi 151, cognac, EverClear, gasoline, diesel fuel, Jet A fuel, napalm, real explosives, flame throwers, fireworks (note: there was a fireworks display on campus in 2010 after the DQ of SDC), clothing, diapers, panties, jock straps, fiberglass, epoxy, duct tape, tires, rubber, rubbers, cigars, cigarettes, cigarillos, cigarette lighters, matches, fuel in a vehicle's fuel tank, tents, Buggy Preparation Trucks, the lead truck, the follow truck, alumni cars, ambulances, bearing oil, engine oil, lubricants (mechanical and personal), soybean oil, macadamia nuts, houses, furniture, hot babes, baby’s hair, hair spray, cell phones, iPods, iSlams, pagers, BlackBerries, laptops, lap dogs, lap dancing, plastic beer cups, purses, money, the Bible, the Torah (see Exodus 3:1- 4, regarding The Burning Bush), Buggy Books, The Tartan, tents, tarps, fold-up chairs, umbrellas, people (cremation), Andrew Carnegie’s coffin, birthday candles, Christmas trees, American flags, wedding pictures, birth certificates, passports, IRS records, ‘Green Cards’, diplomas, marijuana, grass, trees, flowers, leaves, hay bales, ...... and the list goes on.
For reference purposes only, the following are examples of critical substances that are not combustible, (but not necessarily permitted in the Buggy Preparation Area), include: water, air, beer, Iron, wine, most distilled spirits, most recreational drugs, most metals, a few plastics, glass, sand, dirt, concrete, stone, and tofu.

END

abordick
Organization: PiKA
Graduation Year: 1994

Postby abordick » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:01 pm

I don't think "lap dancing" can catch on fire, but it can be very, very hot. :oops:

TommyK
Organization: Fringe
Graduation Year: 2001

Postby TommyK » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:03 pm

BuggyBob

Postby BuggyBob » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:39 pm

I think that the word 'Disqualification' should be changed. It is offensive to some people, and intimates having done something wrong, and God know you never want to offend anyone. Instead, I suggest using the established term 'Double Secret Probation'.

BuggyBob

Postby BuggyBob » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:12 pm

It's time for ideas on solutions, not bantering. As a starting point to improving The Buggy Rules, here's a first stab at a process to get the 'near' issue resolved. It's intended to be a punching bags for comments, so 'fire' away. Please read all of it, including the comments at the bottom - this matter is not that hard to resolve.

----

POSSIBLE MINI-PLAN TO RESOLVE THE 'NEAR' DEFINITION ISSUE

Group A = Sweepstakes management people, buggy organizations, Fire Marshall Bob, the University admin, and interested alumni.

1. Discuss the steps below with Group A about the following suggested plan. Get their feedback and adjust the plan to fit.

2. Use alumni contacts to enlist a professional registered fire protection engineer. This is to get an informed second opinion. Get his advice, particularly about the 'near' issue. (Hint: I have some colleagues - very prominent people in this field - I've known for decades that can help with this, and were curious about this unusual fire protection issue when I chatted with them about it).

3. Meet with Fire Marshall Bob ask him to tell you what he feels the number for 'near' should be.

4. Compare 2. and 3., and pick the greater number.

5. Make up a measured (dimensioned) initial drawing of what you think the Buggy Preparation Area (a map of the starting line area) should be defined-as. To me, the Buggy Preparation Area should coincide with ANY* place within which tents or truck are allowed, and then add some extra space (the 'near' number - or more?) for possible overflow due to extra competitors and trucks. Show it to Fire Marshall Bob. Get his reaction and adjust the boundaries as needed.

6. Review the final Buggy Preparation Area with Group A, and get assent.

7.Modify the Buggy Rules to add the drawing of the Buggy Preparation Area to rules as the area, outside of which, all
combustible liquids must be kept.

-----------------------------

Comment: The above matter is a technical safety issue. The DQ matter is an administrative issue and can be handled separately. The DQ issue is more critical and political, IMO, as it is time-sensitive; resolution will probably involve discussions and perhaps meetings, which may be difficult to do during the summer when people are away from CMU.

* The 'ANY place' area could go as far as, for example: Donner Hall, a few more truck lengths up Hill 1, and the CFA parking lot. See attached example drawing (without dimensions yet).

END
Attachments
buggy-prep-area-1.gif
buggy-prep-area-1.gif (25.58 KiB) Viewed 3751 times

lemuroid
Organization: Ultimate Soap Box Derby
2nd Organization: SigNu
Graduation Year: 1987

Postby lemuroid » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:02 pm

If you seek a rule that can be applied all year, you also need to add a bit of baker-porter and anywhere within xx feet of a location where a buggy is being loaded. ( think push practice and cape tests too).

Return to “Buggy”