Five Second Violations

billet
Organization: Fringe
Graduation Year: 2000

Five Second Violations

Postby billet » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:35 pm

I notice that CIA B and AEPI A were both DQ'd this year for five second violations.

2009, it was Fringe D
2008, Pika C, Phi Kap A, and SDC D

I could probably keep going...

What is the point of trying to bring your buggy out so late, that you sometimes don't get there in time? Bring it out 1 minute before and let it sit there. Unless you're really trying to maximize--perhaps with your top 5 team (which none of the teams listed above actually need to do), wouldn't it be better to have a time that is .1 seconds slower because the wheels are cooler or something than to have your hard work DQ'd?

I assume 1 or 2 of these are from extreme circumstances (mechanical failure or something). But I imagine some are just plain unnecessary because the team wants to maintain the image of bringing buggies out late.

Any thoughts?

aileen
Organization: CIA
Graduation Year: 2007

Re: Five Second Violations

Postby aileen » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:54 pm

I can 100% guarantee the CIA dq is not due to "image", and I would be surprised if the same wasn't true for AEPi. I bet these both were just disorganization/time management, plain and simple. It's unfortunate and preventable, but it happens, particularly in the chaos and noise around the start.

josh.ayers
Organization: SDC
Graduation Year: 2003

Postby josh.ayers » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:15 pm

If my memory is correct that SDC DQ was because they left a strap behind. There were two mechanics holding the front of the buggy with a strap, and when they set down neither one pulled it out. I don't think it would have been a problem if they had just left it there. But one of them went back and grabbed it with less than 5 seconds to go before the heat - triggering the DQ. Oops.

shafeeq
Graduation Year: 2000

Postby shafeeq » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:22 pm

In the 3-stooges category was this year's final's heat with Fringe & SigEp, who both ran out in the last 30s trying to get to opposite lanes and nearly whacking the tails of their buggies together when they turned around.

With an increasing number of teams with trucks in front of the start line, maybe someone should point out that you're not required to approach your starting position from behind.

Jmohin
Organization: SigEp
Graduation Year: 2010

Postby Jmohin » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:56 pm

yep. I was carrying the tail and I felt the wind off their pushbar. We were both so focused on getting out there quickly that no one saw each other.

It's weird being ABOVE the start line and having to run down the hill a ways to get out there. I wish our truck location was a little closer but as a "newish" organization we'll take what we can get.

DeVos
Graduation Year: 2010

Postby DeVos » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:02 pm

I can confirm that the CIA dq was not because of wheel prep or wanting to maintain our image. It was quite simply because we didn't know that our heat was about to start because we couldn't hear the countdown. Our driver was in the buggy, waiting to come out to the line but we were waiting because we didn't want her to have to sit on the line for the next five minutes. When Spirit, who was in our heat, started cheering we realized our mistake and since there was a false start were able to bring the buggy out for the restart. Unfortunately for us, missing the first start had already disqualified us.

Generally, I agree that it isn't worth the extra hassle which is why we try to get our buggies out two minutes before the start (that and it helps reduce the likelihood of the Fringe/SigEp style traffic jams).

aepibuggy
Organization: AEPi
Graduation Year: 2008

Postby aepibuggy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:36 pm

AEPi's 5-second DQ this year was due to a problem while loading the driver (she had to be unloaded and then reloaded).

It's not our first 5-second DQ. Our first year we were DQed because we didn't have a truck for Truck Weekend and didn't know how to carry the buggy out of the truck properly. Another year we just started loading too late.

Needless to say, AEPi has never had any intent to wait until the last minute to get to the line, and typically is out there 1-2 minutes prior to the start. Our 5-second rule DQs are simply due to things going wrong at the worst possible time.

Return to “Buggy”