[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Buggy Humor and War Stories - Buggy Alumni Association

Buggy Humor and War Stories

BuggyBob
Organization: SAE
Graduation Year: 1974

Buggy Humor and War Stories

Postby BuggyBob » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:53 am

There seems to be an ending stream of witty comments and stories about Buggy on this website. I was thinking that a separate thread might be appropriate. Good or bad idea?
* "I love the smell of solvents at Free Roll. It smells like......victory".
* "I'm loosing my mind, but I don't seem to miss it much."

nbonaddio
Organization: KDR
Graduation Year: 2006

Re: Buggy Humor and War Stories

Postby nbonaddio » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:34 am

Can't see how it would hurt.

http://www.nikbonaddio.com/tmp/buggy.mp3
2005, live on WRCT.

BuggyBob

Postby BuggyBob » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:52 pm

2011 BUGGY RACE
NEW SPONSORS - AS OF APRIL 24, 2010

ACCEPTED

Kidde
National Fire Protection Association
Dupont Nomex
University of Pittsburgh Hospital - Burn Unit
Bottled Water Drinkers of America
Duct Tape Manufacturers Association
City of Pittburgh Fire Department
Johnson & Johnson - Band Aid Division
The Brick Institute of America
CMU Department of Chemical Engineering
American Bar Association

DECLINED

Ryder Trucks
CharBroil
Bicardi 151
MIT
Youngs Rubber Corporation
American Asbestos Institute
Zippo
Solvent Manufacturers Association

BuggyBob

Postby BuggyBob » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:57 pm

Example of recent failure of a new Buggy Rule promoted by the newly created Fire Safety Administration (FSA) of CMU, requiring random tests of people in the Buggy Preparation Area, to see if they have flammable gases on their person.
Attachments
FSA-test.jpg
FSA-test.jpg (12.95 KiB) Viewed 4739 times

Stratis
Organization: Fringe
Graduation Year: 2001

Postby Stratis » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:09 pm

BuggyBob

Postby BuggyBob » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:29 pm

Here's a hard-to-believe 'Buggy War Story' that supposedly occurred - before even I arrived at CMU (back when dinosaurs ruled). It goes like this:

Buggies back then had male drivers. The buggies often weighed as much as the driver - maybe the pushing load was 200# total? (close to half of that now, right?).

The story goes..........

One time during Free Roll practices on Sunday morning, a buggy was pushed up Hill 1 with no driver in it (the whole damn thing was so heavy that the pusher could not tell - allegedly a drunk ATO), and the exchange was done to Hill 2, and then the unguided buggy went off on its own downhill and then got really f'd up in an impressive crash near The Pond area. No wonder.
Upon inspection, the buggy team realized it was 'unmanned' (these day ' unwomenned?).

I did not witness this. It sounds like an Urban Legend, but it's a classic BuggyDom story, of my era.

Elmo Zoneball
Graduation Year: 1979
Location: Bottom of Flagstaff, watching the chute, collecting samples...

Postby Elmo Zoneball » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:44 pm

"I love the smell of solvents in the morning -- they smell like... victory."

BuggyBob

Postby BuggyBob » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:53 pm

BuggyBob

Postby BuggyBob » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:21 am

BREAKING NEWS...
(LATE Breaking - April 17, 2010)

Cable TV Oracle 'DNN' Reports a disturbance in Pittsburgh, PA......

"Our bureau office in dahtahn Pittsburgh reported a huge flash to the east.
Our reporter there brought this to our attention, briefly, and her last words were "What the f...?".

Apparently a WMD, in the low kiloton range, was detonated from within a truck at the starting line at some unique annual Soap Box Derby-type race at some university in the Oakland area (see map, below - we have no video; it melted).

In checking the race rules, WMD's are not specifically prohibited on the race course, but 'flammable liquids', that are too 'near', are.

The person in charge of safety on the race course, was not available for comment, as he was vaporized."

END

NOT FUNNY?
Attachments
boom-sm.gif
boom-sm.gif (48.72 KiB) Viewed 4627 times
Last edited by BuggyBob on Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

BuggyBob

Postby BuggyBob » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:50 am

One of the standard ways to screw your competitors (back in the days when people heated the wheels in their truck - using electricity) was thus:
Follow the electric cord from the competitors truck its 120VAC socket in Margaret Morrison. About 5 minutes before their heat - pull the plug.
Now, they are in the dark in their windowless truck, and the heaters go off. They're f'd.
At SAE, we got wind of this ploy, and stationed a big dude at our socket to avoid this.
Honda generator rentals went up.
Last edited by BuggyBob on Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Buggy”