[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Buggy Humor and War Stories - Page 3 - Buggy Alumni Association

Buggy Humor and War Stories

BuggyBob
Organization: SAE
Graduation Year: 1974

Re: Buggy Humor and War Stories

Postby BuggyBob » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:00 am

I heard once (did not see this) that some first time driver (of some weird buggy design - not a bike - but had big wheels) jumped the curb at Hill 2 and almost ended up in the pond. That would have been cute - The Tartan: "Buggy Driver Drowns".
Observation: If that happened, I suppose the Rules would need to be changed to require drivers wear life jackets - now that would increase the frontal area.

You younger buggy nerds may not know this, but when I was at CMU (early '70's), DTD was doing push practice one night. Harnesses were not required the by the Rules then (I don't think - but many buggies had them), but at least were not in use*. The driver was not wearing a harness, and somehow the buggy got loose and rolled head-on into something hard (a car or wall?) - the brakes didn't work?. The driver (a guy in those days) got really screwed up - back injuries - and I think ended up in a wheelchair. This created a real stir within the Sweepstakes and the University, and resulted in some of the major safety changes to the rules that exist now - like harnesses, etc. For instance, they used to allow 'Rocky the Squirrel' type WWI leather caps as 'helmets', but obviously now something more substantial is required. I shudder to think of what would happen to the Buggy Races now if someone go maimed.
Comment: Although the buggies of yesteryear were much heavier, my impression is that today's buggies are safer, mostly due to being stronger (advanced materials) and lighter (less total mass). When they hit something, they seem to tend to bounce off and decelerate rapidly.

* An aside. SAE (where I was at CMU), raced 'bikes' (2 wheelers). How would you put a harness on a bike? Would you even want to?
* "I love the smell of solvents at Free Roll. It smells like......victory".
* "I'm loosing my mind, but I don't seem to miss it much."

BuggyBob

Postby BuggyBob » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:19 am

As hilarious humor writer Dave Barry says: "I am not making this up."..............

I did witness this - several times:

Usually on weekends, in the Spring, in the wee hours of the night, after drinking much Iron, some of the houses (ATO mostly, but sometimes Beta - ATO's 'house' was at the corner of Forbes and Morewood), used to take one of their buggies out to the intersection of Forbes and Morewood, and free roll their buggy down Forbes, toward Craig Street. I know this sounds nuts. Next door (at SAE - me - we could hear yelling and clapping outside, and got up to investigate). I wonder what people driving-by thought..... "WTF was that?".
I do not think the University would condone this now - but there's nothing in the rules against it.....
Hill 6?

billet
Organization: Fringe
Graduation Year: 2000

Postby billet » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:25 am

mbueti
Organization: SigEp
Graduation Year: 2007

Postby mbueti » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:30 am

Haha, I was going to mention the driver going onto the bridge. That was one of our drivers (SigEp), and I was flagging. The crazy thing is that she wasn't a first time driver, and she managed to thread the pushbar perfectly between the barricades. As I remember it, she was just overtired and somehow forgot to turn, despite seeing the flag. When I got down to the buggy I thought she was screaming or crying, but after a few seconds realized she was just laughing at what had happened. Gotta love drivers

BuggyBob

Postby BuggyBob » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:39 am

alanpwagstaff
Organization: SigEp
Graduation Year: 2001

Postby alanpwagstaff » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:17 am

the cook
Organization: SigNu
Graduation Year: 1987

Postby the cook » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:25 am

Drivers have taken one bridge or the other multiple times over the years. But that pales in comparison to...

the big black dog that ran out onto the course on raceday '84 - men's races I think - at hill 5 and ran the trailing buggy down and attempted to mount it from behind. I believe the first part of this (but thankfully not the last) is captured on the Youtube video for '84. The video cuts off right as the dog catches the buggy. I do not recall if a reroll was issued.

Elmo Zoneball
Graduation Year: 1979
Location: Bottom of Flagstaff, watching the chute, collecting samples...

Postby Elmo Zoneball » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:42 am

"I love the smell of solvents in the morning -- they smell like... victory."

revo
2nd Organization: Sweepstakes

Postby revo » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:55 am

billet