[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Buggy Humor and War Stories - Page 5 - Buggy Alumni Association

Buggy Humor and War Stories

BuggyBob
Organization: SAE
Graduation Year: 1974

Re: Buggy Humor and War Stories

Postby BuggyBob » Sat May 01, 2010 2:12 am

Over the years I've heard stories that some buggy organizations have actually done full size wind tunnel tests on buggies - such as at Boeing or Grumman. Is this true?
* "I love the smell of solvents at Free Roll. It smells like......victory".
* "I'm loosing my mind, but I don't seem to miss it much."

BuggyBob

Postby BuggyBob » Sat May 01, 2010 2:25 am

One snafu I was personally responsible for involved a 4-wheeler using Soap Box Derby wheels:
I had fabricated covers for the wheels, within which were heating coils. When prepping the buggy in the tent, you merely plugged it in and kept the wheels slowly turning. Then you carry buggy to the starting line, still plugged in, and a few seconds before the start, unplug it. The problem was the covers didn't fit right and the vibration loosened the heating coils, which got tangled in the wheels. What a mess.

Jmohin
Organization: SigEp
Graduation Year: 2010

Postby Jmohin » Sat May 01, 2010 3:22 am

penguin
Organization: SigNu
Graduation Year: 2004

Postby penguin » Sat May 01, 2010 5:11 am

BuggyBob

Postby BuggyBob » Sat May 01, 2010 8:53 am

Back to humor......
The following is from an alumnus from one of the independent teams, who is now back home in India writing software, and organized a charter of a jet of ex-Buggy people to fly to Pittsburgh from New Dehli, to see The Races this year.
Here they are waving goodbye on the way to the Dehli airport. But they didn't make it, as the train's bearings melted.
Attachments
alumni-charter.jpg
alumni-charter.jpg (15.4 KiB) Viewed 3770 times

BuggyBob

Postby BuggyBob » Mon May 03, 2010 9:20 am

BUGGY RACES IN ASIA - HILL 1

Note differences (East vs. West):

* Pull rather than push
* 2-wheelers are permitted
* Use of pneumatics
* Poor crash protection
* Extensive use of carbon fiber
* Limited aerodynamics
* Several (small) backup drivers

The pusher (puller) in the lead is Rick Shaw, Mech E, 2008

Note propane tank on side of road at left.

Comment: how do they do exchanges?
Attachments
hill-1-asia-sm.jpg
hill-1-asia-sm.jpg (11.87 KiB) Viewed 3723 times

Carleton
Organization: SDC
Graduation Year: 2007

Postby Carleton » Mon May 03, 2010 10:39 am

spagsRulz
Organization: Ultimate Soap Box Derby
2nd Organization: Sweepstakes
Graduation Year: 0

Postby spagsRulz » Mon May 03, 2010 11:48 am

Carleton
Organization: SDC
Graduation Year: 2007

Postby Carleton » Mon May 03, 2010 3:59 pm

Jmohin
Organization: SigEp
Graduation Year: 2010

Postby Jmohin » Mon May 03, 2010 7:48 pm

My macbook gets hot enough to ignite some of the flammables "no one would keep in their truck"

Return to “Buggy”