[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Buggy Humor and War Stories - Page 6 - Buggy Alumni Association

Buggy Humor and War Stories

Abby
Organization: Spirit
2nd Organization: Sweepstakes
Graduation Year: 1998

Re: Buggy Humor and War Stories

Postby Abby » Tue May 04, 2010 6:59 pm

BuggyBob
Organization: SAE
Graduation Year: 1974

Postby BuggyBob » Sat May 08, 2010 4:01 am

I heard a goofy buggy 'war story' that occurred when I was at CMU:

Phi Kap was hell bent to win, using their beautiful 'Streak' buggy. It was basically between them and Pika and the Betas (this was before independent organizations became competitive).
You know what the weather can be like during Carnival - 'iffy'. Sometimes cold or rainy or even maybe a dusting of snow.
Anyway........ The Friday heats went off w/o a hitch, and Phi Kap had the best time. The weather report for Saturday was poor (rain), so supposedly the Phi Kap's had a huge party at their House, and did a prolonged 'Indian' (Native American) style 'rain dance'.
IIRC, the races on Saturday got canned, and Phi Kap won. I think they also won Design that year. This was in the early '70's. Tom Wood can probably confirm this.
* "I love the smell of solvents at Free Roll. It smells like......victory".
* "I'm loosing my mind, but I don't seem to miss it much."

Jmohin
Organization: SigEp
Graduation Year: 2010

Postby Jmohin » Mon May 10, 2010 2:37 am

I didn't think this was funny at all at the time, but in retrospect, I guess it qualifies.

I was a junior mechanic, riding in the trunk of our chairman's Acura RSX, hatch wide open and two buggies hanging out, with me holding on to them. We were going down forbes at 4:30am to set up for morning rolls and sure 'nuff, we get some flashing police lights coming up on us. We got pulled over by PITTSBURGH police into maggie mo st,
I believe the first words out of her mouth to me were "Get the hell out of that trunk" or "Get the hell seatbelted" or something to that effect. Our chairman was freaking out thinking he was about to get arrested, but we carefully explained that this was a CMU tradition, and that the CMU cops let us do it since no one was on the roads, and we weren't going far or fast etc.

The cops was insistent that because we had unmarked protrusions hanging out of the trunk and because I was unbelted, we were going to be in trouble, but our chairman smoothed talked his way out of it and we drove away ticketless.

The cop quoted us a $1000 ticket if we were ever caught again. I would have asked sweepstakes to pay it :-p.

Carl Nott

Postby Carl Nott » Mon May 10, 2010 1:23 pm

I recall getting pulled over by the police while riding with Kate in her CRX while the course was closed and we were 'drying the course'. The officer said something like 'I know what drying the course looks like. Slow down.'.

BuggyBob

Postby BuggyBob » Mon May 10, 2010 1:40 pm

There was some talk on BBA about how 'snug' the buggies are nowadays (a tight fit, etc.), and about sponsorship (bumper 'stickers', etc.).
Plan A: I think BAA should contact the KY Jelly company for support. All teams would benefit (no discrimination - even gay teams). They could provide 'bumper stickers' to all teams.
Plan B: As an alternate, Vaseline (a Unilever Co. product) might work.
Plan C: Use globs of washed up oil from BP's massive Gulf of Mexico oil spill (recyclable).
Use of these lubricants could help the buggy chairpeople and technicians, and the drivers. They also might be useful at night, after The Races.

BuggyBob

Postby BuggyBob » Mon May 10, 2010 2:25 pm

First - this is supposed to be 'humor':

I am getting increasing frustrated by the advantage that many Buggy groups take by hoovering up the best talent - especially the independents - whose members come from almost the whole student body, and who come and go - and steal secrets.
To solve this problem (unlike some pro sports dominated by certain people), the 'playing field' needs to be leveled.
Enough griping. Here's a solution:
I think ALL buggy teams should be racially/religiously/gender/sexually/ethnically balanced (this includes background checks), as per the US National Census - see attached statistics.
I think teams need to be balanced and fairly populated. Has anyone ever seen a team with this distribution of members (the attached stats)? Doesn't look like CMU's student body, to me. Example: I don't see any Asians on the list, nor Muslims, nor Mormons. This is unfair.
Perhaps Obama can step in, issue a Buggy Health Plan edict, and bail us out of the debacle.
Attachments
demos.jpg
demos.jpg (34.89 KiB) Viewed 3505 times

Carl Nott

Postby Carl Nott » Mon May 10, 2010 3:04 pm

BuggyBob

Postby BuggyBob » Sun May 30, 2010 6:43 am

Here's a question for Lemuroid:

What ever happening to Hornet? I liked the design a lot, and would nominate it for the Buggy Hall of Fame (if there were one).

Return to “Buggy”