[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
General Info - Contacts, Announcements, Help and Info - Buggy Alumni Association

General Info - Contacts, Announcements, Help and Info

BuggyBob
Organization: SAE
Graduation Year: 1974

General Info - Contacts, Announcements, Help and Info

Postby BuggyBob » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:35 am

I often get thoughts about a wide range of Buggy topics for which I need info, and do not know sometimes where to go on the BAA website for help. Perhaps there could be a permanent 'topic' where questions can be posted, where forum members can pass-on info.

Example 1:
Is there 'some place' online that has a list of all buggy organizations and the emails of the chairperson thereof?

Example 2:
I have friends who work for ESPN who travel around the country doing the 'sports' event you see on TV. I was chatting with them about 'life' and mentioned Buggy. I showed them some YouTube videos. They were quite curious about it and wanted to know more - and perhaps do a 'specialty short' on it. This would be cool, huh? But who do they talk to in an official capacity for further info - the CMU administration or the Sweepstakes chairman, or ???.

Does this sort of 'general thread' make sense? A couple of other smaller forums that I frequent, have this, and it is used a lot - even if sometimes merely used to point a member to an existing topic that deals with the subject.
* "I love the smell of solvents at Free Roll. It smells like......victory".
* "I'm loosing my mind, but I don't seem to miss it much."

jess_thurston
Organization: Fringe
Graduation Year: 2009

Re: General Info - Contacts, Announcements, Help and Info

Postby jess_thurston » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:18 am

The ESPN thing sounds amazing - the Sweepstakes Chair is the person to talk to about this. You can email me (you have my address already) or preferably Chris, the new chairman. All of our contact info is at andrew.cmu.edu/~buggy.

In terms of making available the contact info for individual chairman, that is something I'd also talk to Chris about. For now you should probably just email him with any questions and he can point you in the right direction. Generally speaking.

-Jess

BuggyBob

Postby BuggyBob » Sat May 01, 2010 6:58 am

Showing how little I know about the current generation of buggy wheels......I've heard that in the real Soap Box Derby Wheels are now plastic (not steel) and are much lighter. Has anyone tried them on a buggy?

Jmohin
Organization: SigEp
Graduation Year: 2010

Postby Jmohin » Sat May 01, 2010 9:44 am

In fact, people have tried them on a buggy! The plastic hubs shattered in the chute turn. There is now a rule against them and other plastic wheels to prevent that from happening. This spawned the changeover to pneumatics and then to smaller, solid wheels (xootr)

BuggyBob

Postby BuggyBob » Sat May 01, 2010 10:30 am

the cook
Organization: SigNu
Graduation Year: 1987

Postby the cook » Sat May 01, 2010 12:09 pm

The derby spec Z-Glas wheels are glass filled nylon. The problem is they are not made to resist side thrust so the two halves have no mechanical lock except for a few tiny bolts. The halves part company in the chute.

At least two teams have used plastic hubs without failure. Zoo in 1987 and SigEp in recent years. The hubs in question here were much smaller and also one-piece, and the wheels were 100mm or less so the lever arm for the force was much smaller.

The ban is specific to the derby wheels

shafeeq
Organization: CIA
Graduation Year: 2000

Postby shafeeq » Sun May 02, 2010 8:08 pm

Return to “Buggy”