RoboBuggy

AlexKlarfeld
Organization: AEPi
Graduation Year: 2010

RoboBuggy

Postby AlexKlarfeld » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:36 pm

Hi All,

I just wanted to announce that AEPi is planning on continuing the Computer Science department's RoboBuggy project from 2000-2001. Myself and Nathaniel Barshay will be leading this project with the help of the rest of our fraternity and other interested people.

If you're not familiar with the RoboBuggy project, its basically a fully functional buggy - without the driver. We're also trying to keep it within the official sweepstakes rules, even though it will be rolling in exhibition. We're still working out when we'll be able to test RoboBuggy, but we hope to roll it soon.

Feel free to check out our blog! - http://robobuggy.blogspot.com

Comment on the blog or email me at alexklarfeld@gmail.com if you'd like to learn more. Feel free to also stop by AEPi, I'd be more than happy to show off the buggy!

-Alex

lemuroid
Organization: Ultimate Soap Box Derby
2nd Organization: SigNu
Graduation Year: 1987

Re: RoboBuggy

Postby lemuroid » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:11 am

A really good robobuggy would be able to sweep and flag.

Similar project in the news today.

http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/10/0 ... omous-Audi

http://www.popsci.com/cars/article/2009 ... ace-speeds

shafeeq
Organization: CIA
Graduation Year: 2000

Postby shafeeq » Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:16 pm

The last I heard of the robobuggy, it was in the room next to the one that filled up with water in the most recent Wean flood, so I'm glad it survived.

Arne & I built that in summer 1999. That was the first buggy-like thing I designed and it's full of dumb mistakes. Such as nearly 100 metal parts that met at crazy angles and were held together by over 200 screws. All of which had red or blue loctite on them, which probably didn't help your job. On the other hand, the dimensions of things that had to fit inside kept getting changed on me, and since Carl's previous robobuggy chassis didn't have enough room, no way did I want to get caught out by that.

Other stupid features included a steering with no mechanical stop to keep the wheel from turning far enough to run into the frame -- it had to be limited in the electronics, and like my other steerings, turns out not to have enough clearance to fit a Xootr. The brake is a pneumatic drop that, uniquely, can vary its braking force (much like train brakes), except that it only ever got used at full-on or full-off because the software wasn't written to take advantage of being able to slow down.

Both of us are in Pittsburgh, so we're not hard to get a hold of if you have questions.

Good luck!

AlexKlarfeld
Organization: AEPi
Graduation Year: 2010

Postby AlexKlarfeld » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:34 pm

Shafeeq,

Thank you for all the comments. They are all extremely, extremely helpful. Nate and I were wondering if you would be around sometime to meet with us just to discuss some things? Feel free to shoot me an email at alexklarfeld@gmail.com .

Thanks!

-Alex

the cook
Organization: SigNu
Graduation Year: 1987

Postby the cook » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:21 pm

I pledge a set of fully prepped wheels so the robobuggy will crash going really, really fast

Return to “Buggy”