[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Raceday Summary - How did BAA do this year? - Buggy Alumni Association

Raceday Summary - How did BAA do this year?

janicesg
Organization: Fringe
2nd Organization: Sweepstakes
Graduation Year: 2001

Raceday Summary - How did BAA do this year?

Postby janicesg » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:08 pm

Hello hello,

We here at BAA HQ are trying to wrap things up for the year and we're wondering what you all thought of how we did, and we want feedback for next year. Let's hear it.

Specifically I'm curious about:
- The Raceday Preview sent to members
- The Auction
- Coverage for people who didn't make it to carnival
- The Raceday Guide that was handed out at the Alumni tent
- The BAA Reception after races on Friday
- Anything else you want to talk about

thanks!
Janice
Janice (Golenbock) Schneekloth
BAA Chairman 2010-2012
Sweepstakes Chair 2002-2004
Fringe Driver 1998-2002

mldarm
Organization: Sweepstakes
2nd Organization: KDR
Graduation Year: 2000

Re: Raceday Summary - How did BAA do this year?

Postby mldarm » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:24 pm

The raceday preview was great, once again. Better prognostication than compubookie.
The auction participation seemed to be much lower. Perhaps due to limited hype beforehand. I wasn't even sure if it was going to happen until a couple weeks out. It's out of BAA's control, but if Sweepsakes did heats earlier, it would have helped as well.
The jumbotrons (along with the great cmuTV coverage) are probably the best addition to races. We need to keep helping fund them.

Carl Nott
Organization: Spirit
Graduation Year: 1998

Postby Carl Nott » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:06 pm

I think the BAA should make a greater effort to advertise things like the members preview and the auction in the weeks before raceday. Personally I did not know/realize/whatever that I needed to re-up my membership before receiving the preview.

I might suggest that the auction gives folks the option of choosing heats as opposed to giving them specific heats. So the highest bidder gets first choice, etc.. That would be a way to avoid the 'waiting for heat selection' thing, but it changes the auction enough ('gah, the only heat left is ato b vs. zbt d?!?!' <- deliberately dumb example) that it should be pondered thoroughly.

The on-website leaderboard didn't link the comments to the team commented, just the position on the board. I was somewhat concerned that Spirit had missed a pushbar, for example, but that comment was for a Fringe team that had been pushed down on the leader board.

I might also suggest adding a 'BAA member: 2011' or something tag to forum/website members. Both to show if we're contributing and reminding us if we're not.

blue
Graduation Year: 2013

Postby blue » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:46 pm

tbach0729

Postby tbach0729 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:52 am

With the production truck/tech that cmuTV rents out to cover this event, I have no idea why its not possible to B-roll the other cameras. It would be awesome to split screen or show all 3 chute turns instead of a fairly boring hill 4.

Alternatively, include the B-roll of the full course for all 3 buggies on the DVD, and keep the main broadcast as is for now, if thats the decision.

I also second the drops coverage. I didn't know SigEp A or Pioneers A failed drops until checking the leaderboard on BAA much later. It could, at the bare minimum, be announced.

On the topic of announcers, maybe some more rule explanations for the laymen watching? I had someone ask me "isn't that a 5 second violation?" for a few very obvious ones (AEPi and SigEp womens) and it would have made sense for those in the booth to comment on it, I think.

Another idea that was brought up to me - with the rosters submitted in advance anyway, why not grab headshots and basic stats of every team (the driver and 5 pushers / team thats on the course) and do some fun stuff with that like real sports broadcasts do. Might up the 'cool' factor and get some kids involved in buggy that are watching, seeing how seriously its taken and the 'glory' factor. Also would make it fun for the people that are on the course to get a little recognition. But most importantly it would give cmuTV something to do instead of the 'kiss cam' crap in between heats.

lemuroid
Organization: Ultimate Soap Box Derby
2nd Organization: SigNu
Graduation Year: 1987

Postby lemuroid » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:27 pm

tbach0729

Postby tbach0729 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:34 pm

Thanks for the explanation.

As far as the B-roll, if it was a significant desire of the community and cmuTV to do that, I think they could shuffle some cameras to make it happen. Obviously I don't know for sure, but it seems to me like the chute camera doesnt have to track past the chute itself, and a Hill 3 camera could pick up the buggy on its rollout. Regardless of full coverage of all 3 buggies, I think that a lot of people would want to see all 3 chute turns if possible.

And I agree that setting up team stat inserts with headshots and rosters is a lot of work. I think that it could be some good coop between the orgs and broadcasters though - if orgs submit the headshots with their rosters, and cmuTV can pull org stats from BAA without a problem given the history setup here. Maybe there's a way sweepstakes/BAA/cmuTV can work together to get them some of that information earlier so it isn't such a time crunch.

What you say about the rules makes sense, mostly the part about not wanting to step on officials toes. I only asked because I do think there are a lot of casual people watching that might want to learn more about buggy through the broadcast, and it seems like sometimes there are some gaps to fill in the broadcast. Maybe between mens and womens heats there could be a 3-minute 'Buggy 101' or something, it could cover rules and history for the average fan.

Maybe next year cmuTV could have (and maybe they did this year and I didn't notice) one or two cameras that aren't on stands roaming to get crowd shots, drops, and do some interviews between heats, if they really want to expand their broadcast.

All these suggestions aside, I do think cmuTV does a really great job for a broadcast, especially given that very few of them touch equipment/broadcast tech like this before raceday to my knowledge.

Carleton
Organization: SDC
Graduation Year: 2007

Postby Carleton » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:56 pm

blue
Graduation Year: 2013

Postby blue » Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:20 pm

rlbrowne
Organization: CIA
Graduation Year: 2014

Postby rlbrowne » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:48 pm

Return to “Buggy”