Rule 7.2.3 Pass Test
Each buggy driver must successfully complete a pass test during a spring semester freeroll practice session in each buggy that he or she will be driving during the Sweepstakes races before he or she will be permitted to compete in those races. The purpose of this pass test is to demonstrate that each driver has certain minimum driving skills while driving the buggy that they will be racing in. The procedure for the pass test shall be as follows:
The test shall take place during a freeroll practice session while the driver and buggy being tested are freerolling on the buggy course. Arrangements to have the test observed by a qualified observer must be made by the organization taking the test with the Safety Chairman, or anyone designated by that Chairman, prior to the test.
The test shall be conducted as follows:
- A buggy and driver not taking the test shall be allowed to freeroll down the buggy course. If the organization being tested has more than one buggy, it must use one of its own buggies as the buggy being passed. If it only has one buggy, it may use a buggy from another organization, but that buggy may only be a buggy that is already qualified for the races, i.e. that buggy must have already been driven down the buggy course at least five times and have successfully completed its own pass test.
- The buggy and driver taking the test shall be allowed to freeroll down the buggy course after the first buggy, at a speed that is greater than that of the first buggy, so that the buggy and driver taking the test may eventually overtake the first buggy.
- The buggy and driver taking the test shall pass the first buggy and driver somewhere between the George Westinghouse Memorial Pond and the service driveway that extends eastward onto Flagstaff Hill from Frew Street, approximately halfway between Schenley Drive and Scaife Hall.
- The test shall be observed by the Safety Chairman, or anyone designated by that Chairman. This observer shall ride in a follow car immediately behind the two buggies participating in the test.
To successfully complete the test, the following requirements must be met:
- The test observer must agree that the pass was adequate, based on that observer’s judgment and experience.
- The buggy being passed must be moving at a reasonable speed, as determined by the test observer.
- The pass must take place somewhere between the George Westinghouse Memorial Pond and the service driveway that extends eastward onto Flagstaff Hill from Frew Street, approximately halfway between Schenley Drive and Scaife Hall.
- The pass must demonstrate the skill of the passing driver (i.e. the passing buggy must come up behind the slower buggy, smoothly pull out to one side of it, pass it, and then smoothly pull over in front of the passed buggy). The passing buggy must appear to be in control at all times during the pass and must not exhibit any instability attributable to either the driver or the buggy. The driver of the passing buggy must leave adequate clearance when passing the slower buggy and must return to his or her desired course smoothly after the pass has been completed. The manner in which the pass is made must demonstrate to the observer that the passing driver is able to adequately judge the position of his or her buggy relative to the buggy being passed.