[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Examples of Bad Buggy Ideas in the Annals of Sweepstakes - Page 2 - Buggy Alumni Association

Examples of Bad Buggy Ideas in the Annals of Sweepstakes

BuggyBob
Organization: SAE
Graduation Year: 1974

Re: Examples of Bad Buggy Ideas in the Annals of Sweepstakes

Postby BuggyBob » Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:05 am

ABEC-9 WHEEL BEARINGS - FOR BUGGY?

To quote Dave Barry: "I am not making this up".

"There once was..." a true nerd buggy chairman in the '70's (name withheld to protect the innocent) who was starting up a buggy team for an independent campus group. He 'knew' everything - all the 'secrets' that the winners were using. It was fun to listen to him pontificate. His deep buggy wisdom included his unshaking conviction about using ABEC-9 bearings - the ultra precision, ultra-expensive bearings used in machine tools and turbines - was critical. ABEC-9's forte is extreme positional accuracy and high rpm's, and not low friction. Do your homework.

Undaunted by reason, (so he said - who has a budget for such bearings?) the nerd outfitted his record breaker with these 'super bearings', and needless to say, it barely made it through The Chute (even stock SBD wheels and SBD axles, bolted to a sled, will make it halfway to the driveway!).

This same Rhodes Scholar wanted small bearings that would allow a push-through bearing sleeve through the holes in a stock SBD wheel. This required a 3/8" axle. This resulted in extreme axle (spindle?) deflection and bending = beaucoup friction. Again, do your homework - take Stresses 101.

I wonder what he's doing now (hopefully not designing seatbelts).
* "I love the smell of solvents at Free Roll. It smells like......victory".
* "I'm loosing my mind, but I don't seem to miss it much."

aitong
Organization: CIA
Graduation Year: 1998

Postby aitong » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:35 am

Anyone know what the logic was behind this pushbar ( Pioneer's Vakyrie)? Or what the hell is keeping it attached?

Elmo Zoneball
Graduation Year: 1979
Location: Bottom of Flagstaff, watching the chute, collecting samples...

Postby Elmo Zoneball » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:41 am

"I love the smell of solvents in the morning -- they smell like... victory."

Elmo Zoneball

Postby Elmo Zoneball » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:47 am

hvincent
Organization: Pioneers
2nd Organization: CIA
Graduation Year: 2009

Postby hvincent » Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:47 pm

Valkyrie was something about being able to deliver more horizontal force, I think.
Vincent Zeng

aileen
Graduation Year: 2007

Postby aileen » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:47 pm

If I recall correctly, Valkyrie's pushbar did eventually fall off...

As yet another veteran of the unreliable dropping pushbars (and who happened to be in a position of non-authority during the building of the last one), it was the triumph of hope over experience many times over. What amazed me was the number of times where the shell was aligned, everything was connected that needed to be, the switch was triggered at the right time, and the bar would find another failure mode.

Elmo Zoneball

Postby Elmo Zoneball » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:03 am

hvincent
Organization: Pioneers
2nd Organization: CIA
Graduation Year: 2009

Postby hvincent » Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:42 pm

Valkyrie's pushbar is in fact still attached. I've solo-carried it around by the tail and it's still doing okay.

Keres, on the other hand, is 2 for 2 on broken pushbars. The first was from some overzealous pusher stoppage, but the second break you can blame on a high and narrow wheelbase; she rarely made it through the chute with more than two wheels touching the ground () and didn't survive my fat ass trying to get caped. Seriously, I still can't get over how I managed to flip a buggy at capes.

Oh, letting Rem get inside wasn't the best idea as far as buggy health, either, though I'll admit I only let it happen because Keres was retired anyway. But now the axles are bent, on top of everything else. Thanks, Rem!
Vincent Zeng

aileen
Graduation Year: 2007

Postby aileen » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:03 pm

Ah, see, I remembered a new-ish Pioneers buggy with a broken pushbar, I think I assumed it was Valkyrie...

I think a general buggy principle should be keeping the moving parts simple and easy to replace, and saving the complexity for materials (composite materials, layup techniques, wheel materials) and shape. I also suspect that most other teams came to this conclusion long before we did.

TommyK
Organization: Fringe
Graduation Year: 2001

Postby TommyK » Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:47 pm

Architects at CMU are taught to think outside the box ... way outside ...

Return to “Buggy”