[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
The Wheel Trough - Page 10 - Buggy Alumni Association

The Wheel Trough

ericmorton
Organization: KDR
Graduation Year: 1990

Re: The Wheel Trough

Postby ericmorton » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:51 pm

All these notes show that a buggy that wins the race doesn't have to be the "fastest downhill" even if you accounted for the exact same push team. There are tradeoffs in buggy between the downhill speed, the chute turn, the rollout and the push section.

BuggyBob
Organization: SAE
Graduation Year: 1974

Postby BuggyBob » Sat May 01, 2010 6:52 am

Maybe an award for 'the fastest roll' should be simply that: the fastest time between two points - and forget about push-offs and weight and weather, and simply base it on who got around a portion of the course the quickest. I would love to know what the fastest roll of all time was. And don't bother integrating it with the main race timing system - just enlist a few people with stop watches.

A separate issue: Does anyone know what the top speed of a really fast buggy is? I've heard a wide range of velocities. I assume the top speed is just before the turn at The Chute. I've heard the many years ago the Pittbsbugh Police helped out and put a radar gun on the buggies during Final Races, and got some real numbers (probably accurate to 1-2 mph, I would guess - but I've never seen the numbers.
* "I love the smell of solvents at Free Roll. It smells like......victory".
* "I'm loosing my mind, but I don't seem to miss it much."

the cook
Organization: SigNu
Graduation Year: 1987

Postby the cook » Sun May 02, 2010 11:45 am

36 mph

BuggyBob

Postby BuggyBob » Sun May 02, 2010 12:12 pm

abordick
Organization: PiKA
Graduation Year: 1994

Postby abordick » Sun May 02, 2010 12:51 pm

I concur with Mr. the Cook.

I don't think there's ever actually been a 40mph + roll.

aitong
Organization: CIA
Graduation Year: 1998

Postby aitong » Sun May 02, 2010 1:27 pm

McCue
Organization: Sweepstakes
2nd Organization: KDR
Graduation Year: 2007

Postby McCue » Sun May 02, 2010 1:55 pm

...sir.

revo
Organization: Fringe
2nd Organization: Sweepstakes
Graduation Year: 2000

Postby revo » Sun May 02, 2010 2:25 pm

abordick
Organization: PiKA
Graduation Year: 1994

Postby abordick » Sun May 02, 2010 2:53 pm

BuggyBob

Postby BuggyBob » Sun May 02, 2010 3:21 pm

My reason for asking was this: that the 'highest speed' part of the roll only occurs for maybe 10 seconds, and it made me wonder (depending on the speed) how much aero drag actually is a factor: some of the buggies now look like sailplanes w/o wings, and others are much bigger and boxier. I'm not an engineer, but IIRC, areo drag is not proportional to the speed (maybe the square of the speed?). Comments?

Return to “Buggy”