Buggy on youtube?

spagsRulz
Organization: Ultimate Soap Box Derby
2nd Organization: Sweepstakes
Graduation Year: 0

Buggy on youtube?

Postby spagsRulz » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:01 pm

Does anybody know what the turnaround (if at all) for putting the buggy videos on youtube is, or do we just have to patiently wait for the DVD's?

josh.ayers
Organization: SDC
Graduation Year: 2003

Re: Buggy on youtube?

Postby josh.ayers » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:15 pm

You can find most of SDC's heats here.

http://www.youtube.com/user/SDCBuggy

Despite the DQ, this one is my personal favorite. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHwza84kDS8

TommyK
Organization: Fringe
Graduation Year: 2001

Postby TommyK » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:00 pm

Thanks for posting Josh. Regarding the SDC C DQ ... on raceday I remember thinking there were only 3 reasons that would make sense to me for a DQ in this case: 1. The SDC C hill 1-2 being faster than the SDC B hill 1-2 - 2. If the SDC C driver had a chance to choose to pass on the right side instead of left she should have taken it - 3. If she had a chance to brake she should have taken it.

Has anyone timed the hill 1-2's? I generally agree the team rank is a crappy rule unless its blatant and both SDC B and C are just plain fast but I was curious what the facts are. I didn't like how much faster the Pika C hill 1-2 was than the Pika B 1-2 in 2001 when they went up against our A-team, it seemed sketchy but nothing came of it then either.

I think the video shows clearly how SDC C got pinched by Pika's line and the curb making point 2 irrelevant. Suggestion: Paint a passing lane in this corner to let inside buggies have room .... this pinch happens a lot it seems.

Both bumps and any curb contact seem to happen so close together that the window for the proper reaction to brake for safety is miniscule ... some leniency here would have been more sporting and a re-roll would have been fair ... I disagree with the committee's choice to DQ SDC C. I know they tell the driver to brake for safety but is it a rule for the following buggy to hit the brakes once there is contact? Should there be?

On raceday when I watched this on the Jumbotron, I thought the contact adversely affected Pika's speed more than SDC. It looked like her tail went out a little, but I can't really tell watching the replay. The poly on SDC/fringe/sigep seems to have better grip than pika's tires and could have had something to do with this.

(should this post have gone in the other thread? is there a way to do that sam?)
Last edited by TommyK on Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

penguin
Organization: SigNu
Graduation Year: 2004

Postby penguin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:03 pm

we used to time up and overs during truck weekend to have an idea what teams were doing. now they moronically have heat selection before truck weekend. really the best way to so this is have sweepstakes have it as a chore and give the times to everyone.

galexkeene
Organization: SDC
Graduation Year: 2008

Postby galexkeene » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:45 pm

Regarding up and over times with Pika A/SDC C. I asked the current kids about this and they said at heat selection they made clear SDC C would be fast, but Pika insisted their H1 had 1 second on SDC's. Apparently Pika then switched out their H1 for Prelims (not sure why), so that could be the exact reason this happened. This kind of switch seems to be something that we should maybe be addressed.

If a Pike wants to correct/inform on this, I would appreciate it. I don't know for a fact they switched from their roster for day 1, but I do know their H1 was different from day 1 to day 2.

Return to “Buggy”