[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
Game Changing Buggies - Page 4 - Buggy Alumni Association

Game Changing Buggies

DangerMike
Organization: Fringe
2nd Organization: CIA
Graduation Year: 1998

Re: Game Changing Buggies

Postby DangerMike » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:00 pm

I think this thread calls for a new site feature!

Would it be possible to have a grid that had years vertically and buggies released that year stretching from the left margin toward the right side. This would allow the user to see the trends as they evolved. It would also provide another way to show the holes in the buggy portraits archive.

FSMike
Organization: Spirit
Graduation Year: 1997

Postby FSMike » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:09 pm

Well, for SDC there was clear demarc at Sambuca- the first buggy they built with CF and vacuum bagging (yeah, I spent some time in the buggy room at that time). Rage was a better version of that, but Sambuca was the one where it turned.

Spirit clearly was QL, and building wise Haraka. But Shaka is probably the HOF buggy (won a hella lot of trophies).

Carl Nott
Organization: Spirit

Postby Carl Nott » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:59 pm

Depends on definition of game changing. Usually the first version of a revolutionary (for a team) idea is going to suck, so a buggy that may represent a large leap forward (like Menes) may not be a, <ahem> Quantum Leap. ;)

jwade
Graduation Year: 2002

Postby jwade » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:45 pm

Zeus and Brazen are an interesting combo. Zeus came out in '00 and promptly blew away the competition. Brazen followed suit the next year. From the exterior, they were conceptually very similar buggies. They were both fast and extremely durable for the better part of a decade. I don't know what's inside Zeus, but I'll bet it's not what was inside Brazen. Head-to-head, I think Zeus wins, but Brazen clearly set the paradigm for the rest of Buggy. I don't know if that's because people thought it was faster or if it's just easier to copy Fringe. Zeus is a HOF'er for performance. I think Brazen gets in by popularizing Xootr wheels and indirectly today's custom versions.

SDC's progression is really interesting. Rage got most everything right and then they forgot how to do it for about a decade. When they got back into serious buggy building, they brought out a standard tryke, switched to a reverse tryke, and then switched back to standard trykes. I would love to hear what their experiences were and what made them switch back, but it's probably too recent to expect anyone to give up the goods. Now, they're the only team that knows how to build a great standard tryke. From the numbers I've seen, they're the fastest buggies on the course but I don't see anyone copying them. Do people just assume it's the wheels?

BuggyBob
Organization: SAE
Graduation Year: 1974

Postby BuggyBob » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:00 am

Let me offer a comment on this .....in a backwards sort-of way....

Back in the old days, buggies were heavy (100 lbs!). I was SAE's buggy chairman in the early'70's, and SAE used (for many years) 2 wheeled vehicles - aka 'bikes' They were extremely light and we'd beat anyone up Hill 1 - but they were hard to push (unstable). And they reached terminal velocity quickly (aero problems), and the buggies had to go around them - a real pain between Hill 2 and Hill 3. So we'd play catch-up on the back hills - yet we were regularly in the Top 6. But bikes got banned (BS safety concerns).....So SAE ended up learning about 4 wheel design, and it took a long while to get in the ballpark. Tom Wood and I were undergrads at CMU during this period, and he can no doubt recall this transition period.

As for important buggies, one of my favorites (from my era) was SN's 'Hornet'. This was lightweight (for its era), and featured a well thought-out monocoque metal chassis and composite axles. Hornet rolled REALLY fast, and was very sleek.

I also think Phi Kaps 'Streak' is probably the sexiest buggy of all time. That thing was cool to look at - a sort of cross between a Corvette and a buggy. Streak won design several times.

A sort-of 'design' factor occurred when gal drivers were permitted. This allowed for much smaller frontal area and lower weight. Some of the buggies nowadays - - - you don't 'drive' them - you 'wear' them.
* "I love the smell of solvents at Free Roll. It smells like......victory".
* "I'm loosing my mind, but I don't seem to miss it much."

DangerMike
2nd Organization: CIA

Postby DangerMike » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:20 am

nbonaddio
Organization: KDR
Graduation Year: 2006

Postby nbonaddio » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:29 am

lemuroid
Organization: Ultimate Soap Box Derby
2nd Organization: SigNu
Graduation Year: 1987

Postby lemuroid » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:24 am

Agree about ZEus and brazen.

On sdc I think they have made a very nice trike which has some speed advantage at the cost of fun times in the chute (long history of trikes vs chute that started with pka in 81 and was clear with spirit in2010). Malics's turn for men in the prelims was on the edge. Pka and others have not forgotten how to make them, making them stable is the tricky part and thus the host of revers e trikes.

If it is the wheels, then I could save them ~ another second with the same level of stability and the cook could probably get them a bit more.
Krait's speed is not coming from aero.

Beta1993
Organization: Beta
Graduation Year: 1993

Postby Beta1993 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:25 pm

Most of Beta's game-changing buggies were from way back in the day, with Echo probably being the most significant. I believe it won design fifty-seven consecutive times, or something absurd like that. Of our early composite buggies, Mercury was the gold standard for pure speed. Unfortunately, it coincided with the absolute nadir of our wheel program and thus had more spins than a Twister game. We did our level best to beat Mercury to death during my tenure, splitting it in half on one occasion, and by the end of the run what had been super-light carbon fiber was mostly plywood and a double helping of extra-chunky bondo.

Personally, I found the first Jama to be an amazing buggy, just clearly superior in design and execution relative to its contemporaries. Of the PiKA buggies I was always most impressed with Vengeance, which was brutally fast and insanely small.

TommyK
Graduation Year: 2001

Postby TommyK » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:28 pm

Return to “Buggy”