[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 492: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 113: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5133: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3843)
1954 SN photos and story - Page 2 - Buggy Alumni Association

1954 SN photos and story

BuggyBob
Organization: SAE
Graduation Year: 1974

Re: 1954 SN photos and story

Postby BuggyBob » Tue May 25, 2010 10:09 pm

* "I love the smell of solvents at Free Roll. It smells like......victory".
* "I'm loosing my mind, but I don't seem to miss it much."

lemuroid
Organization: Ultimate Soap Box Derby
2nd Organization: SigNu
Graduation Year: 1987

Postby lemuroid » Wed May 26, 2010 6:22 pm

Bob,

The 2 wheeler designs from the 80s looked more like buggies and less like bikes. Cramped driver compartments (small for improved aero) made them tough to handle in both the push and the roll. Disk wheels made them unstable in side winds. Poor tatics with respect to when and where to deploy the training wheels (if any) made them scary in the push. That said, I was sorry to see them get the ban. To be frank, many modern buggies have wheel bases that are narrow enough to allow a flip if they get sufficient side loads (higher than a raceday chute turn, i.e. during a spin). This could result in the same "pushbar as spear" issue that bikes got labeled with.

BuggyBob

Postby BuggyBob » Thu May 27, 2010 6:20 am

The comment Lemuroid makes upthread about aero problems with bike is true.
An example: At SAE we tried to cut down on the 'fan' action of the large bicycle type wheel, thinking it was impeding maximum acceleration downhill (The Chute).
It was hard to get the large spoke covers to fit tight and not fall off, and to not mess up the balance of the wheels.
The bigger problem was side winds during free roll (especially at The Chute - breezes coming up the hillside from Panther Hollow), which would push the bike around (sideways), due the large side surface area - when wheel covers were used.
Thus we had to make a decision on using covers, or not - based on the wind conditions on Race Day for our specific heat. This is not something to decide at the last minute (i.e., we needed to multiple sets of ready-to-go (and expensive) racing bike wheels + tires/hubs/bearings, etc., ready to be changed at a moments notice

BuggyBob

Postby BuggyBob » Thu May 27, 2010 6:32 am

The photo below, of SAE's "A" bike "Arnold" - after Arnold Schwinn (provide by Doug Harrigan, and in the BAA Gallery for the '70's), is a good overall view.
Note the very long wheelbase - contributes to going straight and stability.
The drive is prone (minimal frontal area), is wearing leathers and helmet, and is resting on a molded 'breast place' that is attached to the top of the 'main tube'.
Note that there is no fairing. We tried that, and it was heavy and hard to make and kept getting into the way and obscuring the driver's view.
The frame was steel - like racing bikes of the era.
Note also the width of the push bar handle - it was quite wide, and probably contributed to 'torquing' problems (fish tailing and 'dumping') at the beginning of Hill 1 and during Hill 2 push-off.
Attachments
SAE-Arnold.jpg
SAE-Arnold.jpg (43.23 KiB) Viewed 3641 times

Carl Nott
Organization: Spirit
Graduation Year: 1998

Postby Carl Nott » Thu May 27, 2010 9:56 am

My understanding is that Eider had more of a 'ball on the end of a stick' pushbar handle so that they could try to cut down on torquing.

colugodriver
Organization: SigNu
Graduation Year: 1989

Postby colugodriver » Thu May 27, 2010 11:32 am

The DU Biakar (2 wheeler) 1987 t-shirt logo shows the "tennis ball" handle, a larger rear wheel and a smaller front wheel.

(not sure why the photo is appearing so BIG!)

[I kind of fixed it for you. Click on the thumbnail above to see the image in a normal size in the gallery - Sam]

Carl Nott
Organization: Spirit
Graduation Year: 1998

Postby Carl Nott » Thu May 27, 2010 1:57 pm

Not positive, but I think it was Biakar that was hanging on the DU buggy room wall in '98 (a seldom-noted advantage of a 2-wheeled buggy: you can hang it like a bike for storage). I know it wasn't Eider (since I asked). Does anyone know what happened to Eider? The most consistent story that I heard was that it was stolen as it would have been grandfathered into the rules change, but that makes little sense if Biakar was still around in '98.

abordick
Organization: PiKA
Graduation Year: 1994

Postby abordick » Sat May 29, 2010 12:25 am

King Eider is my coffee table. What? you all don't have other Fraternity buggies as your coffee tables? What kind of cannibals are you?

nbonaddio
Organization: KDR
Graduation Year: 2006

Postby nbonaddio » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:15 pm

Return to “Buggy”