As we announced recently, we are very excited to be helping to bring not one, but two jumbotrons to buggy this year. The first will be at the top of hill to next to the leaderboard just as it was last year. The second will be down in the chute so fans in either of the primary viewing areas will be able to follow the entire race for the first time.
After the general idea was announced, we were happy to facilitate a spirited discussion about which particular location in the chute area would be best for the new jumbotron. If you haven’t been following, you can catch up here in the forums. There are pros and cons to almost any location, but the some of the things to consider include:
- Placing the optimum viewing area somewhere that a large number of people can see it.
- Not using up too much prime space on the ground that people like to stand in with the unit itself .
- Not creating a tempting hazard by putting too much of the prime viewing area in the road.
- Staying “outside” the course because it is not possible to get cables over the road this year.
The black rectangles are the actual size of the jumbotron’s footprint. The beige rectangle is the rough size and location of the cmuTV scaffolding. The actual viewing area is a bit larger and wider than depicted. Let it be said that this can not be a purely democratic decision. In the end, sweepstakes is responsible for this decision, and they are responsible to more concerns than us fans. Getting a sense of the popular opinion is important to them though, hence this poll. So, if you were in charge, where would you put it?
Click through to vote and see results
What would be the best place in the chute to locate this year's new jumbotron?
- Location #5 - On Phipps' sidewalk (33%, 30 Votes)
- Location #2 - Across from the flagstaff driveway (29%, 26 Votes)
- Location #4 - Opposite of the apex (16%, 15 Votes)
- Location #1 - In front of Scaife (12%, 11 Votes)
- Location #3 - Just down-course of the cmuTV tower (10%, 9 Votes)
Total Voters: 91
I’m going to close the comments here to keep the discussion in one place, feel free to carry on the discussion in a constructive manner in the forum.