It’s that time again…BAA committee members are stepping down, and we’re looking for candidates NOW. This is a call to action for serious volunteers who want to see the BAA through the next couple years of growth. The main position open this spring is Chairman, but we’re also looking for new people to join the committee in more task-oriented roles like web master and treasurer.
If you’re interested, please comment on this news post with the position you want and, if you like, a campaign spiel. You can also send email to email@example.com if you’re too modest to speak out here.
Elections will be via an online poll
early next week! in the fall
Here are some example criteria:
- Someone who has been vocal on the forum with good ideas and creative input.
- Someone who likes what we do and wants to be more involved.
- Someone who has plenty of time in the Spring to work on BAA stuff.
- Nominees do NOT have to be Pittsburgh locals.
- You can nominate someone else if he/she agrees.
Here’s a slice of what we do:
- Act as primary contact with Alumni Relations for deadlines, event coordination, reservations, alumni contacts, membership lists.
- Attend AIG (Alumni Interest Group) meetings at Alumni House or by conference call.
- Hold occasional meetings with execs to prioritize and act on projects or new initiatives
- Find volunteers, increase involvement of members, delegate chunks of projects and follow up or save the day as needed.
- Work with the Treasurer to keep tabs on income and spending.
- Have a grasp on the big picture and general scheduling of things. Communicate frequently with other execs and volunteers to get publications out on time, reserve space for events, etc.
- Work to make sure the lead truck auction is ready to go, including coordinating with Sweepstakes and keeping tabs on winners.
- Work with Sweepstakes on safety issues where the BAA’s huge knowledge of history can be of service. Be the primary Sweepstakes contact to exchange ideas on how to improve the sport.
- On-Campus Liaison – someone on campus (or at least in Pittsburgh) to be present at planning meetings, transfer physical stuff from A to B, be in touch with campus and course changes and news
- News Editor – compile and post rolls reports, always be thinking of content and news to keep people engaged with the site and our org, manage social media presence
- Rolls Reporter(s) – someone out at rolls to observe and collect info by talking to people, take pictures, make observations about what is going on that is interesting
- Publications – someone to take primary responsibility for publishing our annual products: raceday guide, raceday preview, news letters, potentially much more
- Finances – recording membership and handling membership communications, knowing how much money we have and whether we can afford to do XYZ, communicating our finances to the rest of the committee and to our members, dealing with the school on financial details
- Special project leader – the BAA should always be looking to do new and awesome things for buggy, someone to generate and vet new ideas, and then push projects forward
- Raceday Timing – if we are going to keep doing things (as opposed to hiring someone), someone will have to … do it
- Web-Development – improve website code, add website features, manage server-type stuff
- Web-Management – updating content, moderating user-generated content, entering new data, obsessively checking analytics