Chute JumboTron Viewing
Now that the Jumbotrons have become a mainstay of the races every year there’s been concern about the location in the Chute. With it facing the road, people on the outside, have made it a habit to stand in the road to watch until the buggies come through. This hasn’t been an issue for a year or two, but we’re reaching a point where there are so many people in the road that clearing it before the buggies come through has gotten tough. This is an issue that will soon need a solution.
There have been some races where the road hasn’t been completely clear until the buggy passes the chute flag. If this trend continues, we’re not far away from a buggy-spectator collision and anyone familiar with this sport knows that this kind of incident is extremely dangerous for the driver, spectator, AND buggy. No one wants this kind of thing to happen, so before that does happen, maybe we can figure out a better way of clearing the road.
A few solutions have been mentioned here and there, so these are just a collection of what I’ve heard and not an exhaustive list:
- Add Course Marshals to the chute – This is something that is plausible and could get people to listen. No one likes being yelled at by other spectators, but if that person is wearing a reflective vest, then they clearly have a reason to be yelling at you to get off the road. Then again, this is just more people that have to be supplied by teams or volunteers who would have to be given minimal training, but overall taking people away from their team and giving the sweepstakes committee more things to keep track of.
- Post signs to warn people – I don’t remember when or where I heard this, but signs are easy to make and put up, and equally easy to miss, forget, or ignore.
- Nothing – Nothing needs to change, it’s just paranoia and concern where there shouldn’t be.
- Move the Jumbotron – We went through this when we originally got the screens, trying to find a good spot; for better or worse we settled on where it is now (probably with some logistics guiding it too). There have been a few new possibilities proposed.
- On the opposite side of the chute, inside the hill 3 corner, facing the flaggers.
- On the same side of the chute, closer to the camera scaffolding, facing hill 4 (45 degree diagonal to the chute).
- Somewhere else?
So, lets get some feedback, especially if you are an alum that spends time in that area, what do you think should happen?