Hey guys, it’s been around 2 months since the last post went up, so it’s time to get back into the rhythm before rolls start up. This is a big year as Carnival is celebrating its 100th year, and it’s only 8 weeks away! Because of this, the buggy organizers are working hard on making this year special. There are some special additions as well as a few major changes that we’re looking at.
The design comp chair this year, Connor Hayes (Apex founder), has some pretty awesome ideas to improve design comp and make it a bit more interesting, BUT he’s looking for some feedback from the community and has written the following…
This year we have big plans for design comp. I want to get them out to the BAA community so that they can start sending ideas and feedback. Here is a list of what is new.
- New scoring system: Consists of a re-definition of the categories buggies are scored on with some being eliminated completely and replaced by new ones. This is done to better reflect how buggies are designed.
- The scoring sheet this year is also brand new to hopefully elicit more feedback from judges so teams can know what to improve on.
- New floor layout for design comp. This has a couple of different layers to it. The major one is the inclusion of a stage area where we will have talks, video showings and panels.
- More interactive events for kids. “Design your own buggy” tables along with an area where kids can mechanic a buggy
- More informative signs and posters around the room discussing currently rolling buggies, the history of design comp and important buggies throughout history
Here is what we (sweepstakes & alumni relations) would like to hear from the community:
- Are there any alumni local or elsewhere holding significant historical buggies that they would be okay with bringing back to Pittsburgh? We are trying to work out a plan that would allow for easy and safe storage on campus that would also allow buggy to have a bigger presence on campus during carnival.
- Does anybody have ideas for events in the stage area? Specifically we have been tossing around the idea of a student or student and alumni Q&A panel. We want to have an event like this, but are unsure of the exact layout or format.
- Does anybody have really good old footage that we can play on a projector in between events in the stage area?
- Any questions, comments or concerns from the Alumni?
As we move forward, we’ll come out with more posts carnival related to help get you guys hyped and ready. It’s still pretty cold here at the home of buggy, so it’ll be some time before rolls can start up again. In the mean time, we’ll try and come up with some fun things to talk about in lieu of our normal rolls reports.